Cervical Spinal Stenosis Hypothesis?

Hi everyone,

This has been a great discussion. I would just like to add something which may be lurking between the lines -- the suggestion that all non-surgical alternatives be first explored. There are many types of health practitioners (licensed, trained, many published) who assess and treat cervical problems. There are lots of gentle techniques and home-care recommendations.

I agree that stenosis may contribute to ANS dysfunction by its negative impact on the entire central nervous system. A very high percentage of the sensory input to the cortex from gravity comes via the upper cervical area.

There was a post, or a short thread, quite a while ago by a young lady who was helped dramatically in her POTS symptoms by a specific cervical manipulative technique. She was urged not to sound like it was a cure-all, because nothing is, and the thread ended. My point in bringing it up is that there are cases where the neck was the problem but surgery wasn't necessary.

This is not intended to reflect on the cases where surgery was necessary. It is just one more piece of our confusing puzzle.

OLL

OLL,

Yes, I agree one-hundred percent!

I actually think that I clearly mentioned that in this thread and have at other times on the board also. You must exhaust all other options before surgery, and my doctor believes this also.

I did try the PT that he has developed with another PT person specifically for patients with ANS dysfunction and Cervical stenosis. It is a combination of neural tenstions, myofascial release and craniosacral therapy. All manual therapy techniques.

Still, there are a small group, like Alexa, who need the surgery and have no other options...

Emily

• 4 weeks later...

I'm new to the boards here and trying to learn more about what you folks were talking about here. I just had an MRI this week for neck pain. I got a call today that I have some moderate degenerative disc disease at C5-C6 and cervical spinal stenosis. I tried to follow some suggestions for links to learn more about if this could contribute to my newly diagnosed POTS. Are the cases people are talking about mostly congenital or degenerative? I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed, with another thing on my plate, and just wondering if the two could be connected. If you guys could give me any suggestions or links to more info. (I'm pretty computer illiterate so I apologize if I couldn't figure out the other links) I would greatly appreciate it!

Holly :)