Zuchini/cabbage Recipes

Sue

Help Help

My neighbor brought me over cabbage and about 8 zuchini's this morning!! I have no idea what to do with them... and was too embarassed to ask. lol

So please if you have any easy recipes I'd appreciate them

((Hugs))

Sue

as a polish princess :D the first thing that comes to mind is stuffed cabbage. it's not hard but takes some time/effort. here's a fairly standard recipe i found online: http://beef.allrecipes.com/az/StuffedCabbage.asp

the main site http://allrecipes.com/ has a search feature wherein you can input an ingredient and get a wide array of recipes that can then be adjusted for quantities, etc.

hope this helps & happy cooking!

:) melissa

Hi Sue

In the spirit of Melissa's stuffed cabbage, you can also make stuffed squash. Parboil the squashes, scoop out the insides, fill with cooked rice sauteed with shredded cabbage, onion, and the scooped-out pulp, and bake together, extra yummy with a sauce. I can sometimes get round squashes here, really elegant sidedish.

Squashes can also be sliced and cooked in a marinara sauce. Add mushrooms if you like.

One more for squash--sqewer and BBQ with sauce of choice, add cherry tomatoes to the skewers if you like.

My father plants a garden. My mom is trying to figure out what to do with the abundance of cucumbers. As a child I remember going around to the neighbors with brown bags of cucumbers and tomatoes.

Enjoy!

Ariella

To add to Ariella's recipe for zucchini in marinara sauce: I cover it with marinara sauce, parmesian and mozzerella cheese and bake for fifteen minutes till it's bubbly.

For cabbage, you can dice it and stir fry in olive oil. It's so good for you!

O.k. Sue :(

Zucchini: We grow quite a bit of it...

Large and fresh from the garden ( skin still soft )....BBQ....Slice into 1" slices, brush top side with olive oil, sprinkle top side with parmasean cheese....flip when slightly brown (a few minutes) brush top and sprinkle top side with more cheese. mmmmmmm :D

Large with hard skin......( out of garden for a few days ) Peel and core out seeds. Grate into strainer, letting excess water run out, say 10 minutes. Put into bowl...add flour, salt and pepper until pancake batter consistancy...cook like pancakes in butter! Brown and turn on each side.... double mmmmmmmmm

I use the skin if the zucchini is really fresh, otherwise peel it if it has been out of the garden for awhile.

You can peel, de-seed and grate zucchini if you want to freeze it for future use in baking. Great in cakes. breads and muffins. Substitute it for carrots in your favourite carrot cake/bread/ muffin recipe!!!

Have fun!!! :D

Maggs

Sorry Sue....

I don't really measure anything and it really doesn't matter for these. But, a good guess-timate would be, say 3 cups of grated zucchini, 1/2 to 3/4 cups flour, 1 egg beaten and salt and pepper to taste. Melt butter (or olive oil) in frying pan. 'Batter' should be the consistancy of pancake batter. Scoop with ladle out of bowl and drop onto the hot skillet. Fry until golden brown, flip and fry the other side.

:):blink::P:rolleyes:

I don't know if any of you have had potato pancakes, but I grew up on them and these come pretty darn close. We spread butter on the top of them just like 'real' pancakes....to die for....... :)

Maggs

oh...almost forgot......we were cooking low carb for awhile and omitted the flour......(and egg)

Just melted butter in skillet, dropped in grated zucchini, salt and pepper and fried stirring once in awhile to get brown all over...kind of like hash browns....

Dont forget...grate with skin on if fresh and peel if hard......

My favorite is Zucchini bread- oh it is so good!!!!!!!!!!

Have a recipe somewhere if needed. Now I am craving it----but I don't get out to get the items i need.

Need to send someone to a farmstand! :)

Mmm that's exactly what I was going to recommend!

I love to put a little cabbage in some miso or veggie soup.

Also colcannon- I've got recipes for it with regular cabbage and not curly kale.

For zucchini, I just like it chopped and sauteed, but my mom always sauteed it with garlic, salt, and parmesan cheese, and everyone else likes that.