Breathing Probs @ Night

Hi,

I feel asleep earlier and just woke up. It feels like my breathing stopped or wasn't right...Does anyone else get anything like this? Do you know what it is?? My heartrate was high, but nothing too alarming.

obviously i can't diagnose, but if you technically are stopping breathing while asleep then it's sleep apnea. the way to find out is via a sleep study. myself and several others on the board have apnea which, though often thought of as a "sleep disorder" is more accurately a breathing disorder that occurs while sleeping. i have to use a machine when i sleep (called a CPAP) to keep me from repeatedly stopping breathing.

for me my biggest "symptom" before being diagnosed with apnea was that i would wake up CONSTANTLY all night long. previously i had always been a hard/solid sleeper.

if it's something you notice more than once you may want to ask your doctor about a sleep study...

hope this helps,

:) melissa

Hi,

I experience the same symptoms and also underwent a sleep study. Aka the study, I do not have sleep apnea, however. Although it feels like I am stopping breathing, I actually don't, but my upper airway does become restricted. I technically have something called Upper Airway Resistance Syndrome (UARS). I am still on the first line of treatment which is simply using those nasal breathing strips. There are other surgical and non surgical options if this doesn't work.

The important thing is to get it checked out and not immediately leap to the conclusion that it is sleep apnea. UARS is a bit of a controversial diagnosis at the moment: some doctors arguing that it is just a form of apnea, many others claiming it is a distinct syndrome in itself.

Regardless, ask for a sleep study--painless, although you do end up looking like a bad sci-fi movie extra!

For me, the sleep study also revealed that I had restless leg syndrome that was contributing to my constantly interrupted sleep and I have adopted exercises that help to control that.

Good luck!

India

I think you should talk to your doctor. Many people that end up having sleep apena say after the go on cpap it as if there lives change they feel so much better. If you have a sleep study then you will not have to worry as then you will also know whats going on.