Try Duragesic Patch?

Radha

i know this isnt exactly about POTS, but i was thinking of trying the duragesic patch since vicodin and darvocet are not giving me any relief anymore, bone and headaches are just getting worse and worse but i am really scared to try the patch since it is so much stronger, and worried how it will affect heart and bp, does anyone have any experience with the duragesic patch and how does it compare with codeine #4 and vicodin as far as strength? any info would be appreciated thanks

radha

My friend Janet (formerly of Toledo, but I think she's now in Colorado?) used duragesic with some success. She was taking it for severe bladder pain, and hip pain. Codiene was doing nothing for her.

Nina

I tried this medication for one month, the first 3 day patch didn't work, as it needs to get into your system, after it kicked in my OI became awful and I could barely function, always feeling too drugged. I ultimately stopped after getting rebound migraines.

Then I went through the worst withdrawal I've ever felt stopping the patch because I had nothing to wean off since it is a time release patch and you can't cut it or anything.

Good luck if you try it, but beware this is a very strong pain medication, and I may just be the type who doesn't like being out of control all the time, instead of taking a short acting medication that leaves my system in a matter of hours. I would be cautious of the strength of this medication, if your body becomes dependent, and if your form a tolerance, you won't find much stronger meds out there that would work for you. I believe fentanyl 25mg patch is 80 times stronger than morphine.

Guest sonotech

Radha,

I was on the Duragesic patch for a few months. I did well. It did not affect my BP or make my tachycardia any worse. The only thing is that sometimes you may still need an RX for any "breakthrough" pain..especially if you have episodes of severe pain.

I would have to take pills occasionally when I had really bad flare ups, but the good news is that I didn't have to take as much med as usual since the combo of the patch and pills relieved the severe episodes of pain.

So, it sounds like many meds.....some people do well on it, and others don't. You could always take the patch off if it doesn't help.

My doc had a free trial coupon for me to give to Pharmacist so I could try it out and see how I did before filling my rx. I no longer use the patch, and didn't have any withdrawal symptoms (but was only on it for about 3months).