Starting Metoprolol

My doc prescribed Metoprolol for migraines and said it might also help my autonomic issues. I pray it does!!!!

Is this same as Toprol? She wants me to take 25mg for 3 days than up it to 50mg

Today is my first day and so far I feel alright. I took it a few hours ago. If I was going to have negative side effects would I know already? I only have dry mouth. My hr is usually 90+ when I stand up and I just took it and it's 118/78 and 64 hr. Is that pretty good? How low is too low besides 0 for a hr?

I'm sooo nervous about starting new drugs that I don't want to do too much research and read alot of negatives. I want to focus on the positives so if any one has any success with this med please let me know.

Thanks all

Dayna

Hi,

That sounds pretty good. I mean they are supposed to help lower b/p and also reduce the heartrate. I don't notice to much of a drop in b/p when I take my blocker, I take tenormin but sometimes my hr dips to the 60's, but that changes throughout the day.

If it bothers you about your rate being low, ask your doc about splitting the dosage into a.m. and p.m. I do that.

I hope this is the start of something that will help you. :)

Hi,

I just wanted to let you know that I have had good luck with the Metoprolol. Toprol XL is a longer lasting form of Metoprolol...The Toprol XL helped me with the headaches as well. I am no longer on it because the Midodrine and Toprol messed up my heartrate. I do take Metoprolol when I am having issues with tachy.

Jacquie

Metoprolol is the only thing I've been able to take that helps me at all without causing major side effects although I've had to go with a compounding pharmacy to get a lower dose than what is offered in the manufactured pills. It is my "rescue med" though and has been my little miracle.

I also wanted to caution you; I think someone else suggested maybe talking to your Dr about splitting the dose. Tenormin is a LONG acting BB but Metoprolol is a short acting one so splitting the dose may or may not help you and you may need to take it more frequently during the day to get the benefit you need.

For me what worked was taking a very tiny dose every 4-6 hrs but we are all different. Metoprolol does clear your body fairly quickly though unlike long lasting bb's.