"pediatric Autonomic Disorders" By Axelrod, Et. Al

This review article in the official journal of the American Aacademy of Pediatrics is 10 pages long with another 3 pages of citations. It seems very comprehensive (except for specifics about treatment) for pediatric cases. It was written to "increase the awareness of the expanding spectrum of pediatric autonomic disorders" and can be complicated to read and fully understand. It talks about growth factors and genetics and some fairly rare syndromes, but it is still an interesting read. Martha

I would be interested in a link too. My daugher is being evaluated for autonomic dysfunction. Thank you.

Here is a copy of the abstract for the article:

Pediatric Autonomic Disorders

Felicia B. Axelrod, MDa, Gisela G. Chelimsky, MDb and Debra E. Weese-Mayer, MDc

a Department of Pediatrics and Neurology, New York University School of Medicine, New York, New York

b Department of Pediatrics, Case Western Reserve School of Medicine, Cleveland, Ohio

c Department of Pediatrics, Rush University School of Medicine, Chicago, Illinois

ABSTRACT

The scope of pediatric autonomic disorders is not well recognized. The goal of this review is to increase awareness of the expanding spectrum of pediatric autonomic disorders by providing an overview of the autonomic nervous system, including the roles of its various components and its pervasive influence, as well as its intimate relationship with sensory function. To illustrate further the breadth and complexities of autonomic dysfunction, some pediatric disorders are described, concentrating on those that present at birth or appear in early childhood.

I think it can be accessed (the abstract) by anyone at http://pediatrics.aappublications.org/cgi/...tract/118/1/309

but don't hold me to it.

I have access to the article itself (through former school access). If anyone would like a copy PM or email me with your email address and I will send the PDF attachment as soon as I'm able.

I haven't yet read it myself but the second listed author is the wife of the Dr. (Thomas) Chelimsky that some of us have seen at University Hospitals in Cleveland. She's a peds GI doc at Rainbow Babies & Childrens Hospital, part of UH.

:) melissa