Heartrate Probs

Hi,

Anyone else here have their heartrate wake them up out of a sleep?? I get hot when this happens too. I know I posted something simliar to this, but w/ this prob I don't get nauseas or anything...I am wondering if it is the PSVT/SVT rather than POTS triggering this....?

Yes, I do, I can't sleep alot of the time becasue of it. In the past the EP doctor has increase my beta blocker and it has helped. Right now I can not go any high due to my low b/p. But you may want to talk to your doctor and see if it will help. How things strat getting better and full night sleeps are on the way! :)

Hi!

I am on Metoprolol to take @ night, but lately my BP has been so whacky it goes too low for me at night and then I get the nausea in addition to the palps/tachy, sweats, etc. If I take the Toprol my heartrate goes too low once I take the Midodrine. I really can't take a lower dose of the Midodrine, because the 10mg just about helps me...... :)

This happens to me at farely often and I wake up very hot. If it is a real bad episode I end up dizzy as well. I've always just blamed it on POTS. Usually if I switch sides or sit up for a bit with an ice pack, it all starts to go away.

Hi,

Anyone else here have their heartrate wake them up out of a sleep?? I get hot when this happens too. I know I posted something simliar to this, but w/ this prob I don't get nauseas or anything...I am wondering if it is the PSVT/SVT rather than POTS triggering this....?

I get this several times a night: I feel very warm,actually hot: I have a rapid heartrate.

I end up throwing the covers off, changing positions and waiting for it to pass and then I fall back asleep.

I don't know exactly what causes this, but my theory is that my blood pressure has probably fallen and my body is putting out adrenaline to bring it back up. I suspect the adrenaline is causing this "surge" to happen.

I just figured it came with the territory of POTS.

Yup, that was me last night!

I threw off all of the blankets!

Still today I am having palps/tachy....I haven't taken any Midodrine, becaues I just got up a little while ago and I'm not sure how long I'm going to be up today. My bp is 119/?? but it seems kinda normal w/o having the Midodrine, but I still have the Palps and tachy............

It kind of makes sense that if your blood pressure gets too low, your heart starts to work harder. It's probably a good thing that it wakes us up. Occasionally if I am sleeping, I will wake up and be shaking, mostly feeling it internally but sometimes my hands/body are shaking. My cardio told me to check my BP when that happens as that could be low BP too. Everytime it has occured it has been because of very low blood pressure. I sit up for awhile to correct it. It's quite the pain when I'm exhausted and need the sleep. However, I can't take beta blockers - I have asthma. And I can't seem to tolerate any of the typical POTS meds. So I stick to the ice packs and sitting up method. :)

I attribute the sweats at night to the fact that since I got POTS my temperature system (which is controlled by the autonomic nervous system) is whacky...I am hot/cold when everyone else is ok.

Moreover depending upon your age, the sweats at night could be a pre-menapausal symptom or a menapausal symptom.

I went into menapause some 12 years ago (in my mid-40's) when my POTS began to bloom.

I'm going to be 22 in August, hope menopause isn't hear yet! LOL :)

Jacquie,

I hope things go better for you tonight! I know it's so hard when you don't get a full night rest. Are you able to take any naps in the day to make up the last sleep? Well hope things are better tonight! :)

Hi,

I took 1/2 a Metoprolol tablet tonight. I am hoping that it helps somewhat. Let you guys know in the am!! :)

I went to be at 4am finally and just woke up at 3pm...So I would say I got some sleep. I was tossing and turning the whole night and when I woke up this afternoon I had the palps, but atleast I didn't have them too bad during the night.

Thanks for asking! :)

My doc says this is common. It's the sympathetic and other (forget the name) nervous systems out of whack. A few hours before you wake up, the sympathetic system kicks in to increase heart rate etc. With us it goes overboard. Usually, I turn over and try to go back to sleep. It really is annoying when I can't get a good night's sleep.