Sweets And Treats

Guest dionna

Guest dionna

does sweets and treats affect any of you negatively. i have found that i can no longer eat chocolate, or cakes, or cookies, or anything- not even ice cream! just wondering and in hopes that i am not the only girl out there that can't eat chocolate!

dionna :wub:

I eat sweets, but I get the shakes and sometimes I get sick to my stomach. I have to be carefull how much I eat.....I have a major sweet tooth!

I guess it's a matter of what's worth it to you? Myself, I have a hard time listening to my body and I pay for it.

Amber

yeah i can realte..(but I'm also a diabetic) but before i knew i had diabetes.. I had a doosey of a time with sugar and carbs..

you could be developing sugar/carb intolerance or something..do you have a history of diabetes in your family? and have you had you sugar levels checked out? just be sure that you glucose levels are too low or too high??

good lcuk hope that you feel better

hi!

posted this to another topic...too...

and hope it helps you too!!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

hi all!

i read SOMEWHERE...and cannot find it now.........that dysautonomia affects metabolism.....bigtime...and can throw us into bouts of hypoglycemia easily---due to what we eat.

i have avoided refined sugar/high carbs ALONE====>[TRY-I SHOULD SAY..LOL].....eat only small meals for years...since being sick and undiagnosed for years....

as the following info helped me alot!!!

[also--processed foods...nitrates...-NO CAN DO! ]

=================================================

INFO GOD SENT ME:):

Balancing Your Meals For Blood Sugar Control

? Eat a small meal or snack every three to four hours.

? Eat within the first hour upon awakening.

? Eat a small snack near bedtime.

? Eat before becoming hungry. If hungry, you have already allowed yourself to run out of fuel [low blood sugar/ hypoglycemia]

Balance Your Meals

The optimal level of insulin to glucagon is achieved by a diet that contains carbohydrates balanced with proteins in a ratio of approximately two to one, that is, approximately two grams of carbohydrate per gram of protein and gram of fat per meal or snack.

The Role of Fat

A small amount [3/4 tsp. to 1 tsp.] of fat (butter)[no margarine] or cold pressed vegetable[virgin olive oil] or seed oil should be a part of each meal in order to help control the rate of entry of glucose (blood sugar) into the bloodstream.

================================================

****GUESS WE SHOULD ALL EAT THIS WAY, ANYWAYS......

****ARTICLE ALSO INDICATED HOW ADRENALS GET EXHAUSTED...AND EXPLAINS WHY...WHEN WE DON'T BALANCE CARBS/PROTEINS....with or without having dysautonomia.

****i was so thankful when the Lord showed me this info......hope it helps all of you also!!!!!

=================================================

An excessive ratio of carbohydrates to protein results in excess secretion of insulin, which often leads to intervals of hypoglycemia. The body, in an attempt to normalize blood sugar, initiates a counter-regulatory process during which the adrenals are stimulated to secrete increased levels of cortisol and adrenalin. It follows that an excessive intake of carbohydrates often leads to excessive secretion of cortisol. This contributes to chronic cortisol depletion and consequently, adrenal exhaustion.

In order to stabilize blood sugar, you must maintain a balance between two hormones, glucagon and insulin, which are produced by the pancreas. Protein in the diet induces the production of glucagon Carbohydrates in the diet induce the production of insulin. Insulin promotes fat (energy) storage. When excess carbohydrates are eaten, the body produces large quantities of insulin and little glucagon. This high level of insulin results in more fat being formed and stored.

When insulin is high and glucagon is low, the adrenals are called upon to produce excess cortisol (see later on in the document what cortisol is all about) as a back-up response to help raise blood sugar in the absence of adequate glucagon. This occurs at the expense of the adrenal glands, contributing to adrenal exhaustion.

==================================================

God Bless all of you!

Maggee

Guest dionna

thank you all for your replies. i didnt think about being diabetic. i think there are only a few people in my family that are and actually to tell you the truth i couldn't even name one right now. metabolism and hypoglycemia: i am going to look those up.

dionna :)

Due to the racing heart I have to stay away from caffeine. I still try drink pop but I have to wacth hom much I drink, and as for candy/chocolate I have to be careful also. EP doctor told me no caffeine, but I found that very hard to follow, so I try only to have a little!

I get tachy and palpitations, plus a very dry mouth from too much sugar or even good carbs. I can tolerate chocolate in small amounts, but I don't do well with ice cream if it's more than a couple spoons full. Forget cake or muffins, too.

Amy

My Cardio told me to eat as if I was a diabetic.

I was tested, but I was normal (of course) but he told me that I should at least try it. I did and it helped.

Now if only I was consistent about it. :)

Amber

I wouldn't think that sugar in large amounts would be good for any of us- possibly we might be more sensitive to the effects of low or high blood sugar because of all our wacky hormonal stuff? I don't eschew sweets, but I do feel worse after eating a lot of sugar, particularly on an otherwise empty stomach.