Severe Leg Pain

so I have no idea what is causing this but since I got home from work last night both of my legs and feet are in soooo much pain. I took a sick day today b/c I was up all night in pain and dizzy and lightheaded. I tried advil, a heat pad, ice, showering and letting the water hit them and stretching and nothing is helping. This has never happened before and I don't know what causing it or how to fix it but it hurts sooo much. anyone have a suggestion PLEASE!! I haven't worn my compression stockings in like a year b/c they never helped but I guess I will give them a shot.. .OUCH :rolleyes:

I get pain in my leg all the time now. I am not sure what is causing it. My doctor is trying to find out what the cause is right now. I am sorry you are in pain it is no fun at all. I hope things get better for you soon!

I've had really bad leg pain for years now, sometimes it is so bad I dont know what to do with it .

When I go to bed at night it just gets worse , if I lay on my right side the pain then goes into my right hip and runs straight down thigh, knee then back of leg and foot............when I change sides it does the same.

Walking has been a bug bear with me as my legs feel like they weight a ton and I get such shooting pains at times I cry out, this can make people jump as I never know when these pains are coming on and I just cant seem to stop myself when they hit me.

Night after night I literally 'roll around the bed ' in pain , I take oxycontin for the pain and then if it attacks my joints I have to move onto morphine, not good.

I was told by an Autonomic consultant that the pain we feel ( wherever it is ) is far worse than other normal people feel , because are nerves are damaged, this does make sense as I once 'clipped' my little finger on the side of a table and was doubled up in agony, now that joint has moved back in the socket and I cannot bend it more than 40%.

I think out of all the things I suffer this leg pain that goes on and on for hours and hours is by far one of the worst , angina coming in second place . Willows.

stace.. boy can i realte to the leg pain.. I've had it severely for about 12 + yeaars.. my mom used tot ake me to the ER b/c i hurt so bad.. and they were clueless as to waht it is...

they still are... i was told that in "my case" that my severe bone/leg pain is unrelated to my pots.. or fibromyalgia..b/c they typically dont suffer from the type of "intensity" of pain.. they still get pain.. but its different...my pots doc.. has tried some meds.. unfortunatly w/o much luck in the pain department..

But a few suggestion to get thru the cycle of pain...now if you are having pain to where your skin and hair on your legs actually hurts.. i would recommend to NOT wear your compression hose b/c that is going to make your pain worse.. when i get realy bad i cant not sand to have anything rubb or compress my skin.. as i just cant handle it..

also try and elevate your legs up high.. actually a bit above heart level.. and keep the room your in cool and dark and quiet....some time a strong dose of Ibuprophen or advil might help.. with a fever that you might have..

I have found that nothing really helps the pain go away.. it comes and goes on it own agenda... on very rare occasions if i catch the pain before it gets unbearable... a shot of a combo of torodol.. thru an Iv.. not pill form.. and some IV pukey medication.. canhelp lesson the blow of how bad it will get..i've found that my pain can last several days.. to the point that i'm crying and am about to rip my hair our...i get very restless when the apin is bad.. and i pace or sit and rock back and forth....and cry.. pahtedic i know.. but oh well.. sometime a good night slep used to help..

there are other pain meds that you can try..

I'm sorry that i dont have more to offer.. but i know that if you are feling what i feel.. that you've got to hurting.. I"m sorry!!!!!!!!

takecare

thanks everyone, unfortunately I am home from work again today.. finally got a little bit of sleep. My left leg is feeling slighty better but the right one is still killing me. I put an emergency call into my doctor but of course he is out of the office today and whoever is on call has not gotten back to me yet. All I know is I MUST go to work tomorrow or I won't be able to pay my rent and that would just be bad!! Gonna go put my legs back up and take some more ibuprofen and pray the right leg follows the left and feels a little better.

I'm glad you are going to talk with your doctor. My legs hurt all the time to the point I could not stand to put much weight on them. They would feel numb and tingly and just plain hurt.........it didn't matter if I put them up, down, side ways, upside down. My doctor tried to do a nerve test and after a short time I just could not tolerate it, he went ahead and started me on Neurotin and it helped wonderfully. I was at the stage of being driven everywhere and once we got to where ever I got out at the front, went in the front door and sat down.........I only went to the doctor, Walmart......that is about it. My sister even went to purchase me a cane but I pleaded with her not to. I was just so stubborn that I refused I had a problem. That has been about a year and half ago and about 6 months ago it seems like the pain has basically went away. I have drastically cut down on the medicine and still no pain and I walk (although short lengths due to fatigue) without problems. Don't give up. See what you doctor has to say.

Paige

well I went to the doctor yesterday and have an answer to the mystery pains... I have minor clotting in the small veins in my leg :) for now I am just taking aspirin for a few days and hoping that it thins my blood out but if it gets worse or spreads I have to go to the ER and go on blood thinners. I am a little freaked out, I guess its not terrible news but blood clotting sounds scary... I'm 25 and have soo many health problems in the past 2 years its ridiculous!!

sorry to hear that you have a blood clot, the good news is at least you know what it is. My mom has had a few blood clots, what helps her the most is wearing compression stockings, and she takes asprin every day. I hope it goes away for you. If not be sure to keep up with it!