Jury Duty

Sue

I got called for Jury Duty!! Now what??? They sent me a questionaire a few months ago, I explained to them what I had as well as sending them a brochure and they still want me to do this!!

This is totally not possible. I can't even sit in one spot for more than twenty minutes!!! They really don't know what they are asking for...

Any advice as to how I can get out of this. I am having my primary physician write a letter but what if that doesn't work :)

Thanks

((Hugs))

Sue

I had my doctor write a letter explaining that I could not serve on jury duty and listing the reasons why and also there is a statement in there that explains that my condition is chronic and not likely to change. This worked for me. I suggest that you call the phone number (should be on on the summons) and aks what is required to be relieved of duty, then do that. There was an actual form for the doctor that they had to send me.

I had my doctor wirte a letter. It just said that I have pots, and that I can not sit to long in one shop, that I get confussed at times, and that I am unable to drive to and from the court house. They let me off, I have not got any more letter from them in over 9 months so it worked.

I fainted during a deliberation of a Federal Grand Jury..... Hubby laughed about recieving a call from the Federal Marshall telling him to come get his wife!

Fortunately, the assistant from my dentist's office was serving with me and she knew exactly what to do when I slid from my chair and hit the floor....

I was not only excused - they gave me a letter excusing me for at least the next 5 years! Believe me, if you faint on them - they DO NOT want you!

Guest dionna
I fainted during a deliberation of a Federal Grand Jury..... Hubby laughed about recieving a call from the Federal Marshall telling him to come get his wife!

Fortunately, the assistant from my dentist's office was serving with me and she knew exactly what to do when I slid from my chair and hit the floor....

I was not only excused - they gave me a letter excusing me for at least the next 5 years! Believe me, if you faint on them - they DO NOT want you!

i haven't been called to jury duty but i thought it was cute about the phone call. i passed out in front of the white house and the secret service had to call a lot of people i knew to and i had an active duty id card. so they called the marine corps to see if i was really me. i got a lot of jokes.

My mom had to stay home with before I got married. She got called for Jury Duty twice I think. Both times she had my doc write a letter explaining my condition and that she was the primary daily care-giver, that I was not supposed to be left alone.

She mailed it in and that worked just fine.

UnicornIsis

Hmmm... the only times I've been called for jury duty I was living in another country, so I haven't had to worry about the medical reasons... but I hope the letter works for you and you don't have to worry about it!

• 2 weeks later...

My request to be released from Jury duty was denied!!! Can you believe it. I'm wondering has anyone even attempted this????

I am thinking of having my doctor write another request but don't know if I should even bother??

HELP!!!

thanks

Sue

oops forgot

((Hugs))

County? Federal? Mine was federal....

I have always wanted to get called for jury duty and waited for years (sicko person that I am) :D . Wouldn't you know that right in the middle of being diagnosed, when I was probably at my sickest ever, they called me to jury duty. My doctor didn't have a problem writing a letter for me. There was a number that I could call and I actually talked to the court bailiff. He told me to send the letter and to not worry about it and it was as simple as that.

My brother got called for jury duty and he had been deceased for three months, needless to say they told me that he would be excused. He may have died too young, but by golly he got out of jury duty. :lol:

Kim

Wow, Sue. They must really want some jurors where you live! Do you know what the letter said? Have you talked to the bailiff personally about the doctor's letter? A letter from a medical professional saying you can't do this should pretty much settle it. I hope you can get this all worked out.

Kristen

Sue,

That stinks. I wish I could tell you the magical way to get out of it, but just wanted to share that my husband just got called, which means he's not here much to help if I need it. The summer is the only time he's not as busy at work, so I actually get a break from my toddler. And now I lose that time!

However, I am a firm believer in the democracy system, so I can't complain -- especially since this is the first time he's been called, and I haven't been called myself. I would just be honest w/ them and tell them what you need to help you do the job. If you feel like it's absolutely impossible to sit up for that length of time, tell them you'll need to lie down and get a note from your doctor.

Many cases get settled the day you get called, or even before. Hopefully that'll happen and you won't even have to show up.

Amy

sorry to hear this but they usually ask a lot of questions to see if you FIT the jury they are looking for (depending on what you are being chosen for) They also ask questions about different things, like death penalty.

I have heard if you say outrageous things, they will quicky see you "aren't fit for jury duty." Frankly, if your doc explained that an upright postion can cause faint or tachy cardia and BP abnormalities, and sitting STILL in hot stuffy room can trigger heat exhaustion, I want to know WHO DENIED YOU??

I used to know a guy that was a bailiff..and while some dont' want to say outrageous things, if it got ME OUT OF JURY duty, I would do it in a heartbeat.

GOOD LUCK. This is bogus.

Oh, and as somebody said, at what level is this case????????????