Worried For Brother Who Is Going Through Chemo

Guest Julia59

Guest Julia59

Hi folks---I hope your all doing Ok.......

I'm concerned for my brother who is going through chemo for his colon cancer. He is working, and I don't know how he is doing it. Fortunately his appetite is OK, and he can eat to help keep his strength.

He works in Tool and Die as a welder, and they recently have a new contract with HONDA. Good news, but the company is poorly managed, and doesn't have the employees to handle the work load. As a result of this my brother is forced to work overtime to keep his job. This would be hard on a healthy person, not to mention someone battling colon cancer.

He called my parents house yesterday to check on my Dad who had a colonoscopy. I was going to sit and wait for the Doc to come out with the results, and give my Dad a ride home. I stopped at my parents house first to drop off my Dog because she had a seizure the other day, and I didn't want her to be alone. I was the one who answered the phone, and he sounded so tired. He said his whole body hurt-----I was at a loss for words. He needs to feed his family, and maybe a regular schedule may be tolerated, but all this overtime has got to be terrible for him.

Any thoughts and prayers would be welcome------------I just hope he is able to hang in there.

Julie :0)

Julie,

I'm just curious if there is any way he could go on medical leave. When your sick, you def. need to rest up....I hope things start looking up for your brother.

Jacquie

Guest Julia59

WE discussed medical leave with him---"The Family Leave Act." protects his job, but I think he's still afriad that when he goes back to work he'll be fired. That's the way it goes sometimes, once a company feel syou of no use to them---they let you go. I know, because it happened to me. they find a way around it.

Unfortunately Ohio has a "right to fire" law, so we are just out of luck, unless it's something terribly obvious---discrimination, hurt on the job, exposure to toxins on the job ect. But even when toxins are involved---it's very hard to prove it unless multiple people are involved.

I think he's afraid---and there's no moving him. He'll probably work till he can't move---then he won't have a choice.

Thanks,

I do hope your brother finds the strength that he needs to get through his chemo, that the doctors will have the knowledge and guidance to rid his struggling body of this terrible illness. And may his work come to an understanding and realize that this young man needs time to rest and heal. For he is in the fight of his life, and your health definately comes before work.

In my thoughts and prayers deary!

Nicole

Hi Julie,

My former employer fired me due to my excessive absense once my FMLA ran out, I was still on short term leave, but it didn't matter.

Jacquie

Guest Julia59

Thanks for showing your support---and sending thoughts & prayers for my brother---I know he will appreciate it.

My brother went to the chemo doc on Monday, and he is going to take a break from the chemo for 1 month---but he has to go back on it. Hopefully this will help him get though Ok. His job still need to at least cut back his hours.

Thanks again,