Unable To Speak

jdqm

:) have any of you had trouble talking after you come to? i usually am unconsious for several seconds, and when i am consous again, i am told i cannot speak at all for several minutes up to 20 minutes.

is this a normal lack of blood to the brain thing, or should i be really concerned. one er doc was worried i had a stroke. that was wierd. i dont think he was right.. his supervisor disagreed with him too, but they both wanted me to see a neurologist. like i need to see another doctor!! anyway... do any of you have this happen?

Joy

Hi Joy

I do remember one instance when I was in the hospital emergency room. I had a very difficult time talking after it happened. Another time I had slurred speech.

Hi Joy,

I would see a neuro about this. It's better to be on the safe side.

Jacquie

Guest sonotech

Well, it certainly wouldn't hurt to get it checked out (except the stress of seeing a new doc, I know).

When I have syncope spells, I have trouble speaking and trouble comprehending what others are saying to me. This usually only lasts about 30 seconds or less.

I know that most people that have a stroke usually have some sort of long lasting or permanent affect, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't take it seriously of course.

None of my docs have ever said anything about my inability to speak or think afterwards and they have witnessed the episodes "first-hand".

yup.. iget that way even if i dont pass out.. i get slurred speech.. and at time just can not talk.. despite the fact taht i want too.. or i more often them not.. have trouble forming words.. or my sentences tend to come out all mixed up... one time i wanted to say "i could never shovel snow at this point" and i said some thing like.. i never snuggles show".. was funny.. but yet not funny.. b/c i do that alot (no not snuggling snow :o )..

they dont know why i do it.. but I just kind of deal with it... and know that if I'm having trouble talking that I more times then not need to start pumping in the salty fluids.. or need to check my sugar...

good luck to you.. seeing a neuro is always good.. especially if this is something new for you..

take care

Hi Joy,

I was just talking to my sister about this. I was hospitalized for the first time in April with stroke like symptoms and I had difficulty with my speech afterwards, I was slurring and stuttering a bit. When I had my tilt test in May, they noted that I couldn't speak right after 8 minutes. It is so good to know that someone else has had this symptom, as I didn't note that when reading about POTs.

Robin

Guest dionna

most of the time i can talk when i come to and sometimes it is slurred or i can't at all but it doesn't last long. of course though a lot of the time i have a hard time just thinking of the words that i would lke to say and i also forget what i am trying to say even if i don't pass out. when i fall flat on my back i knock the wind out of me and that might be another reason i can't talk to begin with. i did see a neurologist about it but... you know how that goes. like you a few doctors have told me that i might have had a slight stroke. the right side of my body is a little off and i don't have normal feeling on that side. especially in the face. i'm not concerned about myself but i do think that maybe you should see a doctor just to be on the safe side. i spent 8 months in a hospital. i hated it and i don't like going to the doctors like i'm sure you don't but it might actually be a good idea just to make sure something isn't wrong. maybe it could even be a step in helping your symptoms. who knows what they could brain storm? until then take care of yourself.

dionna :)