Feeling Exhausted After Iv Fluids?

hi all

I'm wondering do any of you ever just feel exhausted after getting Iv fluids?? I've noticed after the last few times I've gottne fluids that I'm straight up exhausted! and all i do is sleep....

also during my infusion today i started to get that squeezing in my brain again.. and broke out in a icky rash.. my skin is as red as a sunburn and have slight fever of all things.. and am achey..which is weird... I'm thinking that I'm having a reaction to something.. but am not sure what... nothing with latex was used on or anywheres near me.. and the fluid was ran 1 1/2 liters over about 12 hours... I headed off a nasty day of GI troubles that was brewing.. by popping levsin..

any one get pooped out after fluids? even though I was sleeping off and on all day.. having a ahrd time staying awake.. for the past few weeks I'm so incredibly tired i cant shake it.. and all i want to do is sleep sleep sleep!!! i wake up pop my am meds.. try to eat and do a few things.. then it back to bed.. for about 4-5 hours.. up 1-3 hrs. back to bed

running real low on steam and energy these days!!

any one get teh IV thing?

The reaction you describe is the same I get when I'm allergic to most medications, especially if they are given as a shot into the blood stream or put in the IV bag. So you are allergic to something. If you get it every time you get the IV fluids, it may be something in the fluids, or something that is used to make the bag or tubing.

Also the constant sleeping... that's a reaction I have when I'm allergic to a medication, usually administered into the bloodstream.

You should DEFINATELY talk to your doctor RIGHT AWAY about this. And mention to him/her about possibly being allergic to something the IV solution is bad with or the bag or tubing is made with. It might also be some part of the needle or the tubing used to hold your arm open for the IV. Just some thoughts, but definately talk to your doc about it right away.

UnicornIsis

Hi Linda,

Perhaps getting down to the infusion center and back is what's exhausting you?

Also, if you're allergic to latex, you might want to ask if the IV line has latex injection ports. I always have to check for that because I'll have a reaction even to that sometimes.

I'm sorry to hear you're not doing so well again. Hopefully you'll have another good day soon like you did last week B)

Hugs,

Lauren

I feel exhausted after fluids but its from getting up to pee so many times. However you may want to check your Kidneys, urine, aand blood sugar to make sure your systom is not getting a fluid overload.

i typically do not pee alot during an infusion.. maybe once or twice.. nd most of the time its a trickle of sorts..

Linda,

Just wanted to check in and see if you are feeling better...Did you or the docs ever figure out what happened?

• 14 years later...

My cardiologists say it’s normal for POTS patients - the fluids reset our autonomic and sympathetic systems and the reset is exhausting. The same thing happen when my EDS physical therapist adjusts circulation and muscle blocks in my shoulders, chest, neck and head. I also have ME/CFS so the fatigue completely wiped me out. I take IV fluids once daily via a Groshong catheter and try to plan it during a time I can nap. If I run it up against bedtime, I often can’t wake up to unhook myself after a nap.