Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome

Hi all,

After reading Kathy P's post last week, I did some research and realized I have many symptoms for Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome. Does anyone know if there is a link between POS and POTS?

I went to see my OBGYN today and he's really interested in this. I'm scheduled for an ultrasound next week, but in the meantime he wanted me to do some research to see if anyone else with POTS has been diagnosed with POS. I'm especially interested in any academic articles on this (I've looked but haven't had any luck so far).

Thanks so much for your input!

Cheers,

Lauren

lauren.. i was just diagnosed with PCOS afew weeks ago.. I honestly do not know if there is a connection.. my only thought was its kinda confusing in regards to waht is causing irregular menses.. as pots alone can cause irregular periods.. and so can PCOS...

I'm not sure.. would be interesting to find out though..

hugs

linda

Guest CyberPixie

I've had it since my periods began and endometriosis. No idea if it's connected but apparently they've found PCOS is linked with adrenals.

Hi all,

In my research, I found an article linking increased ovarian norepinephrine with cysts. I have hyperadregenic POTS, so I have an abnormally high amount of norepinephrine in my bloodstream, however I'm not sure if the two can be connected. I've gone ahead and posted a link to the article in case any are interested, and will take it to my doctor to see what he thinks. Any input/comments are greatly appreciated :lol:

http://endo.endojournals.org/cgi/reprint/133/6/2690

I constantly have ovarian cysts. Had a 15cm one removed 3 years ago along with one of my ovaries. I've always had cysts and irregular periods. Very painful when they occur. I take Darvocet for 2 days about 3 times a year(when I get a period).

I also have Hashimoto's Thyroid disease.

No idea if any of this is linked.

Since some of you have PCOS, I have a few questions:

Does anyone know if it's possible to have PCOS but NOT be overweight?

Is heavy bleeding/clotting/bright red bleeding during periods indicative of PCOS? I usually hear that periods are absent. What are your cycles like when you have PCOS?

I am wondering if you can have PCOS and get frequent menstrual cycles (every 20-24 days rather than every 28). I have noticed my actually bleeding then lasts 7 or 8 days.

Amy

Funny you should mention that. I was originally diagnosed with PCOS 3 yrs. ago after being sick and going through ovarian surgery, where they found that I had a lot of cysts on my ovary. So I went along with that diagnosis for several years- the surgery did make me feel better, but had a hard time recovering and wasn't quite myself. Then I was fine for a while- just got tired pretty easily- then it hit me pretty badly this past spring. Started gaining weight, being EXHAUSTED, dizzy, tempature fluctations, etc. I went to my Dr. thinking I needed my bcp changed to accomdate changing hormone levels (which happens with PCOS), and all of a sudden I'm seeing a cardiologist and being told I have POTs! So, I think they've almost officially 'undiagnosed' me with PCOS (which I don't understand, as they had my ovaries RIGHT THERE in front of them at the time) and re-diagnosed me with POTs. This is on the theory that the main sign of PCOS is not polycystic ovaries, as the name might suggest, but rather severe hormonal imbalances- particularly in re: too much testorone, which I don't have. Bottom line- I don't think the health community knows WHAT they're talking about, particularly with women's bodies.