Exercise...

Hi guys,

I decided to try and walk a bit to get some exercise, I have put on alot of weight since last year. I went for about a half hour walk and now I feel exhausted. A few times I felt like I was going to pass out, but kept on going.

My question is that if I do this about 3 times a week do you think that maybe it may help me be less symptomatic, because after about a half hour or so I get symptomatic in stores, etc. Even if I am standing (althought standing wise I'm no good after 10 min if I'm not moving i.e. walking, etc.).

Congrats for your accomplishment!! I am not experienced enough myself regarding this, but wonder if you haven't walked in awhile, if you should start out with shorter walks? I am not at a point to even consider this yet, but I treasure the day when I can. I am also not able to stand up more than 10- 15 mins. and can't walk my driveway, so this is a ways off for me. I hope you are able to continue and make progress. I have also gained a great deal of weight, which is depressing on top of everything else we are dealing with.

My cardio had encouraged me to try and increase my walking before the nightmare of this past year. When I tried to do this, I was very symptomatic and would literally have to sit down on the ground. My husband was walking with me and we would take water and cell phone, just in case.

HOORAY!! on your victory of walking for a 1/2 an hour..!!!!!!!!!!! pace your self and do waht you can handle and slowly work your way up!!

Im paying dearly for my half hour of walking :) ...I also brought water and cell phone with me. Guess I am going to try walking for maybe 10 min. at a time, if I can even do that the next following days..

shoot girly I give you credit.. a few weeks ago I was having a good moment.. and there is an exercise room in my building. so I plopped my big buns on the stationary big.. its the kind where you peddle and move you arms back and forth with the handle bars... and i started to get really symptomatic after about 30 seconds and my heart rate was FAST.. but i pushed myself and did 2 minutes.. and i got off the bike and my legs felt like rubber! and my ticker was a ticking!

I havent gone back on the bike since it messed me up.. maybe next time i should take my own advice. and go slower and and pace myself! hahahlol.. oh well..

good luck dear happy walking!

I think it's a great thing for you to try- I think when and if we're able to, a lot of us try to build up our activity similarly.

Just on a related note, there may be other forms of exercise that you might find less stressful on your symptoms. Swimming is one, and also I ride the recumbent bike at the gym. These both lessen the amount of being upright but still work the muscles.

It's a good point that walking itself is what we do on a daily basis, and when we're able, the more we do it, the more we'll be able to..? But also, I think that these other exercises will strengthen muscles and get one back in the swing of exercising, so as such might be a good way to build up to the walking.

Good for you!!!

Jacquie802,

My experience was that when I first started walking, I felt very shaky, weak and light-headed. It took quite a while for that to go away. (Of course, I had my hubby with me at the beginning.) The feeling does go away eventually but you have to stick with it.

Maybe you should start out with less than 1/2 hour because that is a lot. How about 10 minutes?

Some days you'll feel better than others. If possible, do the walking in an air-conditioned area, or at night or early morning when the weather tends to be cooler.

Take the water bottle with you at all times. And the cell phone. If you happen to have one of those devices that you put around your chest to measure your heartrate, that would be great.

It does get better. I think us POTSY folks have to suffer more than usual to make gains.

I admire your willingness to try. Hang in there.

Key component - baby steps. If you walk for two minutes and start feeling symptoms, rest for a while. Than try walking another two, and again rest. I've learned over and over that I'm better off doing very small amounts of walking at a time with long rests between than going too long and paying for it for days! I try hard to tell myself that walking for two minutes is doing really well when I can because I compare it to the days I can barely get out of bed to walk down the hall to the bathroom, so each day has it's own achievements.

Tammy

Guest tearose

You go girl! :D:D:D

Just don't make the same plan for every day. When I have succeeded it was because I was flexible with how I felt at the time I was ready to exercise.

Small manageable steps and allow time to rest. You don't want to crash with exhaustion.

best regards, tearose

That is great that you could go for so long! My husband got me a tricycle- like the ones that little kids ride only grown up size- at the bike shop and he goes out for little tiny rides with me. It is nice because I don't have to try to go fast enough to balance the bike and when I get tired I just stop pedaling and sit on the seat without having to worry about holding the bike up because it has three wheels. I can't go out very often or very long yet, but I can work on it slowly. Best of all you get lots of smiles when you ride a big tricycle and no one expects you to go fast!