Please No More Heat!

AJVDK

Wow as it warms up this year I am getting sick in heat very fast. I can walk from the house to the car and my heart will start racing and I get chest pain, and get dizzy. I can't beleive how fast it is coming on.

Any good tips on beable to got out side. Plus my son wants to be outside and I don't want him to go by himself he is only 4.

Last night I went out about 11:00 pm and sat for about 10 mins. but I am not sure I could have gone much longer. I am just going crasy in the house. I am sick of feeling stuck, due to health.

Amy

Amy~

I know what your going through, this is my first summer with pots and I am more symptomatic then ever. As if thats possible, lol. As far as advice, all I can say is that I try to keep my fluid/salt intakes up, get plenty of rest, stay cool, and don't overdo it. (Which is hard for me to do, because I feel like I am missing so much) I have been inside for a whole week and a half because it has been nearly 90 and humid. ;)

Hi...I can relate!!!

I don't have to deal with it being humid much, (unless we are in storm season, like as in now) But does it get hot!!!! Man I really think I need to move, but am afraid I'll have problems no matter where I live.

What can you do?

Good luck

Amber

Hi,

The heat has been kicking my butt this year as well. I try hard to keep up with fluids and have extra salt. I don't plan any activities outdoors until the later part of the day, which by then it has hopefully cooled down a bit. I always carrry cold water with me or cold gatorade and keep it in the car when I am going out. Maybe get a small cooler so the water stays cold.

Also, I take the Midodrine a half hour to an hour before I am supposed to go out, so I know it is in my system.

If you can afford it, I would get one of those cool vests that some ppl talk about on the forum. I personally can't afford one right now, so that is not an option for me.

Best of luck with this hot weather!

Jacquie

Hi,

I can sympathize. The heat definitely makes me symptomatic. Even though my POTS is very well controlled, being out in the heat for more than a few minutes and my heart is pounding and I have tachycardia. Here is something I've been doing in the 90+ degree weather we have in Georgia: I have oblong ice packs that I wrap in a bandanna and tie around my neck. The ice against my carotid arteries really seems to help. Along with that, I sit under a large shade umbrella. I also have a young son that I don't want to leave unsupervised. We just finished building an inground pool and it has been a godsend, but if that isn't an option for you, you can try keeping a dishpan filled with ice water outside and put your feet in it. It sounds silly, but these things make it possible for me to stay outside with my kids.

Best of Luck,

Carolyn

Guest tearose

The humidity doesn't help. I think the changes that take place in the weather happen too fast for my body to adjust to. I find even though it is tough at the start of the summer, I can get stronger because I kinda adapt a little after awhile. It still is hard.

keep cool, tearose

This heat and HUMIDITY has been most depressed me and made me HOUSEBOUND. We used fans all over the place and had AC on 79 ot 80 during day and 77 at night.

THEN, last night the AC kicked off early. We went outside and the compressor smells like a burned out motor. As I was sniffing it it came back on and blew hot wind in my face and SPOOKED me adding to he HR of 130 just from STANDING. My BP is spiking..FOR ME...for the firs time..bottom number 85 or 90 and usually the TOP number is in the 90's.

The ac came back and and kicked off early...so we shut if off.

THANKFULLY due to the universal weather shift, it is VERY COOL and in the low 60s' and rainy.

Have appt for AC estimate next Tuesday and company to come Wed to look and hopefully give estimate. Unit is about 30 years old. My house mate is freaking as he has been downsized several times...so it's rough.

But I can NOT live w/o AC. To get two units for br windows would be about 1/4 cost of central air and would run high bills. I am praying we can get estimates and then AC installed ASAP.

I can NOT imagine if that humidity hits before it's installed. I can't even THINK that way for now...a day at a time..an hour at a time. but the humidity is DREADFUL because the house NEVER COOLS DOWN at night. The WORST PART IS half the house is a great room with only tall narrow windows and miniblinds. It's like a giant hot box. HORRIBLE and stuffy..

B):ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

HI,

I would also like to add that if you have access to a pool its a HUGE help.

Jacquie

Ditto on the pool and other cooling devices. The heat is too much for almost everyone (dysautonomia or not!). So, I take my kids out after 4:00pm only- thank goodness for daylight savings time. If you can get out and go to indoor places such as movies, children's museums, etc. that can help break up the monotomy of being cooped up during the worst parts of the day. I'm going through the same thing with my kids- but it is just too darn hot to try and get out too much.

Carmen