Medicines To Lessen Excess Of Epinephrine

Radha

Guest tearose

Hmm, why don't I know? Are epinepherine and norepinepherine different chemicals in our body? There is some kind of similar "recognition" in our body I think...anybody know?

Anyway Radha, there are drugs that stop the norepinepherin reuptake. I don't know if it works on epinepherine too. Be careful. Know if you need the higher levels of norepinepherine to keep alive!!!

I do! It would put me in grave danger to stop my higher levels of norepi. so I work on fixing the "cause" not the "reaction".

Some of the SSRI's do inhibit norepi BUT the also effect seratonin and who knows what else.

Be sure you can handle all the side effects.

Sometimes I ask my pharmacist to give me more information...sometimes they know more than the prescribing doctor!

best regards, tearose

Radha,

I hope you find something that can help you. Just thought I'd write and "bump" this topic back up to the top.

Take care,

Lisa

Inderal, which is a beta blocker helps. It's a beta blocker that crosses the blood brain barrier so it helps with

the surges. Sometimes it takes getting used to as it makes you tired. I am on 10 mg 4 times a day.

Good Luck

Dawn

Beta blockers block the effects of epinephrine. Other than that, I don't know many other drugs that do. There are anti-anxiety drugs that calm the nervous system in general, therefore indirectly lessening epi's effects. These would include clonazepam, Valium, Ativan, etc.

Amy

Epinephrine is technically a hormone whereas norepinephrine is a neurotransmitter used by the sympathetic nervous system.

I believe they are structurally very close (obviously not identical though) and they are both part of the "fight or flight" reaction.

Off the top of my head from memory...the only thing that comes to mind is that they BOTH have a role in increase in heart rate, force of heartbeat, blood pressure. Norepi has more of an impact on sodium retention and epinephrine has more of an impact on blood sugar and loss of potassium in the blood stream.