How Common Is This?

Hi,

I'm just curious how common it is for us POTSy people to get the feeling of electricity running through out bodies. It usually starts out at my feet and makes its way to my head, which bothers me the most...

Does anything help?

Is it as common if you take a beta blocker? (I personally noticed that it isn't as bad while on beta blocker, but I still DO have problems..)

Thanks again guys!

Jacquie...Now I'm really off to bed!

I don't know if I would call it an electrical feeling. I always have a hard time explaining this to my physicians, but what I feel is sort of a vibration feeling throughout my entire body. It is def. worse in legs and feet though. It is the strangest thing. I am on beta blocker, but don't think it has anything to do with it as it is random when it happens.

I have to agree with Nadine. Mine is like that also. When it finally shuts off, and it does once in a while it is like someone flipped the switch off and I feel a sense of calm. Alas, it does not last for long.

We may all have the same thing but just describing it differently. Keeps things interesting. :)

Jenwic,

Hi! Most of the time my "electrical current" :) wakes me up right as I seem to be falling asleep....Interesting...

Everyone Else :)

Sometimes one episode feels different from the other. Last night I was nervous because my head had the weird feeling as well as the rest of me. Most of the time it's just from my waist down...

Thanks for the replies!

I know what you are talking about, but it's impossible to define. I tried to tell my doctor I buzzed from my eyes through to my ears, and that's the weirdest look I ever got from him. But to describe it is as hard as it is to deal with it. Mine is mostly in my head only. morgan

I get this almost every night. It gets worse when I'm surging, but even on "healthy" evenings I get that electiric vibraty type of feeling. Mine is also accompanied by flashing lights. I find it amazing that so many of us have this symptom, yet all of our doctors think we're wacko when we bring in up. Hmmmmmm :)

As for treatment? I just ignore it. It's never "hurt" me per say, it's just extremely uncomfortable and annoying (and was very scary until I got used to it).

Guest dionna

i have the electrical current throughout the back of my head, actually i have it right now. i like it. it is unique and feels cool. when i touch my head it gets more intense and maybe i'm crazy but its cool to me. i try to find amusement with my smptoms if at all possible. this one i can play with and make it more intense or less intense- by not touching it. sometimes i like someone to massage my head just cause it feels even cooler. i don't know just finding humor in it is all. i didn't even know anyone else had this feeling. interesting to know that i am again not alone. thanks everyone for me not being so weird. :)

dionna

I get the feeling of electricity zipping thru me on a pretty regular basis.. and it really stinks.. the currents" or electricty buzzing in my head is aenough to drive a person mad!.. usually when I get the surges real bad.. I'm down and out..

I dont know what it is or what can make it stop.. as i havent found anything to make it stop yet.. but wish I knew something that would help...

I can rember telling a doc once that i had electricty running thru my head.. and he told me I should go to the psych hospital!.. this was before pots was dx'd.. now i know it s apotsy thing i gueess

I hope that it stops for you and is only a one time thing and that you feel better soon dear

Guest tearose

I don't usually get these feelings.

...only had something like this when I used a hairdryer that shorted out!!! :)

really was the electricity.

I do get what I call numbness though. I wonder if it is the same thing but we feel it differently?

hope you figure it out!

All this time I thought it was only me who got that feeling .... I'm relieved to see I'm not alone . I could never properly describe it. The only analogy that comes to mind for me is that it feels as if my entire body has been turned into a tuning fork thats just been twanged. Its a simmilar horrible sickening perpetual buzzing right up through me ... as though all the atoms in my body are vibrating at a low frequency. Anyone who has it has my upmost sympathy . I've only had bad experiences with any medication that I've tried. They've all really exacerbated any of my 'odd' symtoms like the buzzing . The only thing that helps for me is lots and lots of rest.

Me too me too! I have been feeling so much better now that I'm on meds in every area except this! I had a horrible night with it last night, mine is mostly in my upper body and head, and its the vibrating/buzzing/electrical feeling, and happens most when I am really tired or going to sleep. I also get this falling senstation, and feeling like I can't breath, and this is all when falling asleep so I'm half conscious. It is scary every time. I had an EEG and it said all was normal except when I went to sleep I went straight into sleep stage 5 brain patterns instead of the normal sleep stage 1. I am getting a full on sleep study in a few weeks cause its been a consistant problem.

I take Ativan to get rid of it, and it works really well. I know lots of people may have an issue with taking Benzos, but it is the only thing at this point that helps. My doctor said it makes sense, seizures are treated with Benzos, and if my nervous system is fried (buzzing), Ativan will calm it down.

Anyways...always goood to hear others deal with this.

Interesting how most of us do experience this weird thing! :) How many of you have had EEG's for this prob. or another prob most likely related to POTS??

I think Kathy described it perfectly for me. I haven't said it just like that, but a tuning fork would be perfect. I had it all last night and today I can barely focus my eyesight. Thank you Kathy!

Again, this is the only place I feel normal - ALL the odd sensations are the norm here, such a relief to read this. It can drive one crazy trying to figure things out sometimes!!! When I stated it feels like vibration, more than electricity, I agree that a tuning fork would also describe it as well, buzzing. I also find that the klonopin will sometimes help, at least take it down a notch.