Husband Has A Problem

Wufflebear

Ok well he had the appointment. I was not there so I am getting the Male watered down version...

The Holter monitor results showed irregularities, skipped beats and other problems stemming from all different parts of the heart at any given time. He actually had a regular ol' normalish day the day he had it on...ie: nothing major. There was aparently something irregular going on at all times pretty much, but coming from adifferent part of the heart at any given time. As far as the weight loss and constant chest pain the doc was not sure cause "nothing was presenting itself".

Blood work (cbc + Thyroid) was normal. Electrolytes aparently normal

15 sec EKG normal at ER

he did not mention anything about what she said re: the CT scan but I know there was a nodule on the lung too small to biopsy. bp/temp was normal.

I am feeling the need to go postal......

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can certainly understand your desire to "go postal." I really don't understand what the plan is about all the stated irregularities with his heart??? This makes no sense. A sedative may help with the stress, but does not address the cause of problems. Sure seems like he needs cardio visit and odd that they would not refer for echo or something.

Does he have followup planned?

You stated he did not mention the nodule, does he not want to talk about it?

Thinking of you-

FULL UPDATE:

I now have more info now than I did yesterday...trying to get info out of men is like pulling teeth...

Anyway, the nodule on his lung (slightly larger than a button in size) is in a tricky place. If they biopsy it, it will deflate his lung ,so they can do nothing. He also has a cyste on his kidney or liver (right side) which the doc "was not worried about".

The holter monitor showed irregular heart rythems stemming from every single part of his heart at different times, regular heart rythem for any period of time was pretty much absent. His heart rate while on the monitor ranged from a low of 40 bpm to a high of 130bpm. His BP is running very low at 80/60 with a pulse of 60 at the time of the doc apt. The doc said his pulse and bp were dangerously low for a beta blocker

The CT scan missed the entire left side of his chest cause the operator said that "HE moved" but he did not. His heart is simply beating so hard that it does cause his body to move with it. The doc said that he "felt his heart beat so hard cause he is thin. Most people have lots of padding so they dont feel their heart beat". My husband suppresed the urge to tell her to go read some chicken entrails at this point...perhaps time to break out the leeches?? He has been thin (160lbs or so) his whole life...So was I till I had our daughter. I am sure there are lots of thin folks around who can stand without their heart beat causing their body to move... The doc did already make an appointment with a cardiologist in Eugene for August 8th.

In July they would like to do a month long event monitor. Other than that they did a rectal exam (talk about getting at the problem the hard way) and she said they could do a colonoscopy when they get back if he wanted. But they were not sure anything more was needed since nothing was 'presenting itself". He has not lost any more weight but he did start a body builder shake suppliment to stop the weight loss (2000 calories a shake (2 a day))..he has not gained any weight either...She offered him a sedative and suggested he go and enjoy himself!

Thank you guys for listening and for the suggestions...It is really keeping me sane. WHen I talk to family about this they go bazerk and that does not help me out any.

Well I am glad to hear you have been given more info. It is nice that your husband and daughter are planning their trip and will take it day by day. Sounds like you have given it some thought and have a plan. It is also good that he now has a cardio apt., although some time away. In the mean time having the monitor for a month will be helpful information for that apt. in Aug.

I Hope they have a wonderful father/daughter experience and that you are able to then meet up with them. :)

Guest tearose

You sure have a lot to deal with!

I hope the time your husband must wait for his appointment will pass quickly and that he will improve.

again, make time to take care of you too!

It sounds like a nightmare for you. I hope the trip goes well.

I guess we are spoiled living in Wisconsin, the winters are awful and the summers are humid but the health care is good. I can't believe they didn't admit him. If you walk in and say you have chest pain here, you are automatically admited for at least 24 hours.

I think the zigzag recording you are talking about is artifact, it happens anytime you move because the electrodes move with your skin and are not recording. I am concerned about the spot on his lung, the weight loss and the low BP. I think he needs a good internist that looks at the whole picture.

For me it is so hard to imagine that kind of healthcare. I don't know what I would do. Is there a University Hospital near you? They are usually pretty good.

Wish all the best to you and your family.

Dawn

Thank you all!

We have only the one local hospital (no cardiologists...just family docs and internal med docs and a podietrist and some surgens...that sort of thing. There is one anestesiologist). A two hour drive has you in Eugene and that is better and then four hours has you in portland and that is ok medical care.

I think if something does happen to my husband I will move my daughter and I back to portland...better medical care (had Kaiser there and loved it). Plus there is family & friends there and I will need that.

I should hear from hubby and kiddo tonight.... then maybe I will start to relax? lol

Yea, we thought they would admit him too!! I would have felt better about it..having him admitted and tests run and then told it is ok, rather than practically nothing done, shoulders shrugged and a sedative offered.

I cleaned my daughters room last night...Messy rooms are something I can do something about!

Hey,

Well all is ok so far. They left thu and I talked with them friday. He was nauseated and lots of irregular beats still but ok.

Then I talked with him last night 06/06 and the stomach symptoms had abated and no big problems with irregular heart beats either. His heart was resting at 100-110 which we all know, from personal experience, is the pits. He had tingly fingers etc. The heat was also affecting him. You know there is a part of me that wonders if he is dysautonomic?? But I dont get tons of irregular beats and he can stand fine (for much longer than me for sure.) so maybe he has developed it secondary? or maybe a heart problem is mimicing it? I dont know but sometimes when he talks I do wonder. I spoke with him this morning too. They are at yellowstone. Apparently the only good cell phone service area is at old faithful, so they called me just after it went off. They are there till Friday morning and then he will decide if they are coming home or heading on to the black hills etc. It will depend on how he is feeling.

My daughter is loving it. She has gone in a cave at craters of the moon; slept in a covered wagon near Ontario, oregon; Panned for gold; seen blue dirt near John Day, Oregon; Searched for fossils; Got in a buffalo traffic jam in Yellowstone; rode on a steam train; and more I cant remember.

He has not had another really bad day since the one two weeks ago or so, so that makes me feel better. Meanwhile I have been painting pottery, cleaning and attempting to get the lawn mower started...Which I cant do. (Gas mowers are the pits!). Besides once I got it started I doubt I could do much, but anyway... lol

So glad that they are having such a wonderful time!!! My goodness- what a blessing for the two of them, your daughter will have such fantastic memories. All things considered, he is doing better than one would have thought. Hope their trip continues, if not they have done some wonderful things already!!

Glad your also able to get some "you" time.

Best wishes!

WOW! I just read this topic from beginning to end tonight! I hope and pray that your husband finds some answers from some really good dr's when he returns. You guys have had such a horrible time with finding good healthcare - it's just crazy. Do you all live in a rural area where you just have to drive really far to get good healthcare?

All that aside, how wonderful that your daughter and husband are able to take this trip! I'm sure they'll have many great memories!

What has been keeping you busy while they've been gone?

Take care and thanks for keeping us posted. I am looking forward to hearing about how the trip goes.

I will pray that you will find a dr. who understands what's going on and who takes this seriously!

Talk to you later,

Lisa

Yeah, so did I- sorry, I don't check this forum very often. This must be such a frightening experience for you, not to mention frustrating. I'm so sorry for what you all are going through. I hope they find out what's going on with him soon, for all your sakes. I'm glad you can vent to us, and please continue to feel free to do so!!! Best wishes, and lots of hugs all the way from the east coast!

Megan

Sorry, out of the loop. I looked at the strip you posted and it looks like atrial fib to me. I was a cardiac nurse forever, so that's what i would have called it. Hopefully he is at least taking an aspirin every day.

Atrial fib in and of itself is not usually dangerous, but it can cause a tendency for clotting. Typically people with this are put on a blood thinner or at the least an aspirin.

I think I would be filing a complaint with the state about the care he's received so far. And let these guys know I'd done it.

I hope you can get this resolved. It isn't even like nothing is showing up for goodness sake. I am glad he's doing okay on the trip.

Sorry you are having to go through this. morgan

My prayers are with you. I'm new to this website and forum but I feel connected already as I have never met others dealing with the same issues as I do.

Call Portland and have someone see you. Do your best to insist on getting medical care that is competent. It took me months of being in 2 different hospitals to finally call the Mayo Clinic and make an appointment with a cardiologist there. I checked myself out of the hospital in my hometown and had my husband drive me 7 hours to Mayo. We went into debt and my husband took off many days until finally they fit me in and I was diagnosed properly with Dysautonomia. I was in a wheelchair and very ill.

Find a good doctor!!! No matter what it takes.

My very best to you and your family.

Thanks for all the replies!! It makes me feel much better to have all of you as friends!

To the question about the medical care. Yes we live in a very small town area

I keep researching stuff on my husband but cant find a disorder which causes heart irregularities from all parts of the heart. I know that there were irregularities from all parts at different times but none of it was "consistant". Ie; it was not always one thing acting up. I think what I saw on his monitor was atrial fib too, but I think that is just one of the things acting up...

Glad to hear that you have been in touch with your husband and daughter again. I have been watching the postings to check for your updates. I think it is a good plan to have him try meds while you are all together.

I hope that you all enjoy your time together and you have a good flight. I will also wish for weather that is

not too humid and hot for you two!!

Have fun and I hope that he gets some answers when he returns.

I have to say that I am with Morgan617 in regards to filing a complaint in regards to hospital and primary care.

In the mean time, glad you are enjoying your alone time, nothing like having cereal whenever you want it!! :(

Yep all those things I would not want to do in front of my 5 year old...you know like eating cheerios in front of the tv, over the carpet....for lunch.. lol

Yea, the heat is ucky...I grew up in kansas city and hated it. If I was not in a pool then I was inside or better yet visiting relatives on the west coast. lol

How do you file a complaint??

You should be able to file a complaint through hospital, there is usually a formal procedure. Customer relations supervisor?? Always ask for highest level available as far as supervisor, as you will get dift. info sometimes. Sometimes there is peer review and actions taken, etc. or state agency may help. Not sure how it works there. If your primary is in private practice, you may need to contact a state office regarding this or hospital may be able to direct you. I know in the office I worked in there were formal complaints written by pts, investigated and reported on to a board by site admin. and feedback given to pt.

I am sure others will have input for you.

Hi there,

Sorry, I literally just read all 45 posts. I can't believe what your husband has been going through. :) I too was told in the hospital ER many times that I had anxiety ( didn't have it until POTS!) and then one day they kept me over night I saw a cardio who put me on 30 day holter monitor and finally I got diagnosed with arrhythmia!!!!!!! Not that I was excited about it, but finally they figured out what was wrong.

Anyhow, I am glad your husband and daughter are having a good time. Remember for you to keep up with fluids before your flight, and keep us updated! Take care.

Jacquie

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all,

Well we had a good visit. It was only super hot one day and of course we were outside in it...yuck. Anyway I found some grass and a shady tree and parked myself. Lol

My husband seems to be doing better. We got him the bb's but he wanted to not take them unless he started to have a bad day. argh.

Anyway he seems to be doing better and we had a wonderful time. Glad to be home in my own bed though!

Hello all,

Well we had a good visit. It was only super hot one day and of course we were outside in it...yuck. Anyway I found some grass and a shady tree and parked myself. Lol

My husband seems to be doing better. We got him the bb's but he wanted to not take them unless he started to have a bad day. argh.

Anyway he seems to be doing better and we had a wonderful time. Glad to be home in my own bed though!

So glad that you were able to enjoy the summer plans you had as a family. I was wondering how you were all doing. I hope that your husband's health continues to improve!

I was not sure if he plans to only take the meds when he is very symptomatic?? Not sure what he was given and if that will benefit him, if he doesn't take on a daily basis? -

There is no place like home, when it comes to bed and sleeping--

Hi,

Glad to hear from you and happy your trip wasn't too bad! :(