Ab. Pain In The Right Side

So for the last day or 2 I have been having bad pains on my right side...It's starting to cause pain in my back too on the right side. I have felt really nauseas and just crappy. I don't thikn it's my appendix but I'm not sure what it is, i keep getting bad pains though... B)

Any advice for me?

Jacquie

Hi,

If the pain is high I would guess your gallbladder, if lower back I would agree with Sally kidney stone or infection.

I was really nauseated when I had a gallstone.

Best to get it checked.

Dawn

I get pain alot like that. I went to the doctro and he say's ot could be your galballer, and I say mine is already removed. Then he took my bllod prussure again, and said he said you can get pain from you b/p being so low for so long. I am still not sure about this one but I would make an appointment to see a docotr and heave them take a look.

I hope you start feeling better soon! B)

Amy

Hi-

I have been having intermittent abdominal pain on my right side since all my symptoms started back in 2004. It is kind of high up and at times very severe. I have seen a couple of GI drs and have had lots of MRI's CT scans, GI series and endoscopies but no one can figure it out or piece it together with the rest of my symptoms. (well, my neuro doesn't seem at all interested in this symptom). It's always in the same place and I'm so sick of it. I believe there has to be a reason for it and think it has to be tied in with the rest of my symptoms somehow.

How strange to read your posts. I too have very severe ab pain on the right side and back. It worsened after I had my gallbladder removed last July. The pain attacks are very very severe and I also have had numerous CT's, MRI's, Gi series, etc/ My GP is not sure what the problem is and does not think it is related to dysautonomia. He orderd an abdominal ultrasound on Saturday due to the fact that now I have a pulsating feeling in my upper right quadrant. The woman who did the ultrasound kept looking at the right kidney so I do wonder if I have kidney stones or something. This is just so odd that others have this pain too.

I have an ultrasound schedule for tomorrow AM!

Just a thought, but scar tissue can cause pain if you have had any surgeries?

I have problems with this as well as the with the IBS.

Goodluck and I hope you find the cause.

Amber

I too have had pain in the upper right side of my abdomen. I had an X-ray, ultrasound, CT, HIDA w/cck, and endoscopy. All came back normal. I had a lot of nausea and lost a lot of weight when the pain was at its worst. It would also radiate to my back. It was the worst when someone would push on it. I was told that it might be the nerves in the cartilage around my lower ribs getting inflamed. I have no idea if that's the case, but it's strange that several of you have the same symptom....very interesting!

let us know how the ultrasound goes, Jacquie!

Hi,

Jacquie wondering how your ultrasound went. I got the results of mine and the doctor said it revealed a small kidney stone. However, he said that the size and location would not cause the type of pain I have been having. This doesn't really make sense to me. My pain attacks fit kidney stones to a T. They are sudden, intense, start in the back, come in waves, and last about twenty minutes. I also have kidney stones in my family. Not really sure how to go about this now. Do the rest of you have pains like this? Should I pursue this kidney stone thing further?

Hi,

My mom said the doc called and everything looked fine. Go figure...not that I wanted anything to be wrong, but atleast it would explain the pain. The good news is that my liver went back down to a normal size. :P

I see my neuro today, so I'll keep you guys updated about that!

• 4 months later...

Hi all,

I was reading a post here yesterday and clicked on a link that ellen posted for Florinef side effects. Among other things, it said that Florinef can cause:

"Abdominal pain"

"back or rib pain"

"nausea or vomiting"

"loss of appetite"

"pains in stomach or side, possibly radiating to the back"

"unexplained weightloss"

My RUQ pain, nausea, and weightloss all improved when my Florinef dose was reduced for other reasons. I always thought it was a coincidence till i read this list of side effects. It seems it might be related...just wanted to call attention to it for anyone who suffered like i did.

Kristen

http://www.drugs.com/cons/Florinef_Systemic.html

Guest Mary from OH

I have that pain too!!! And have had it for over 10 years now!!!! About 10 years ago, when I had my WORST POTS episode period (1 1/2 years) ever, I was having excruciating right quadrant abdominal pain. I had EVERY test done imaginable to humankind!!!!! (nothing ever came of it!!). Well, I did have a laparoscopic surgery and had my appendix out because it looked like chronic appendicitis (not the usual acute appendicitis). But, all my "inflammatory markers" (sed rate, IG's, etc.) are elevated and no one could ever figure out what was wrong with me. The pain eventually died down to a mile roar. Only one medication ever helped at all. It was Asacol. It is a bowel anti-inflammatory. At one point, I was diagnosed with inflammatory bowel disease, NOS because most of the scopes showed my bowel was inflamed (just like the rest of me!), but I didn't have Crohn's or Ulcerative Colitis.

So, I'm probably not much help. But, maybe if your tests don't turn anything up... I'm sure it's related to POTS somehow and Asacol really helped my pain. Good luck to you!! I also had problems with uncontrollable diarrhea and losing weight, no appetite, etc...

Hi,

Jacquie wondering how your ultrasound went. I got the results of mine and the doctor said it revealed a small kidney stone. However, he said that the size and location would not cause the type of pain I have been having. This doesn't really make sense to me. My pain attacks fit kidney stones to a T. They are sudden, intense, start in the back, come in waves, and last about twenty minutes. I also have kidney stones in my family. Not really sure how to go about this now. Do the rest of you have pains like this? Should I pursue this kidney stone thing further?

Weird! I've had pain on my right side as long as I can remember! Usually, I feel it in my back but sometimes in my abdomen. I too, have been wondering whether all the POTS symptoms are related. Many years ago, they said I had endometriosis and that was causing the pain. Finally, I had a hysterectomy and was better for about 6 months. I always thought it was related to the kidneys. They did find a stone, but said it was too small to be causing problems. Went to an urologist and he lots of people have really small stones in their kidneys and don't even know it. Unless, they start to move into the ureter, shouldn't worry.

I get an x-ray once/yr to check it hasn't grown or moved. Twice, I've been to the ER for classic kidney stone pain. Sudden excruciating pain on the right side! Tordol works like a charm. But, when they ultrasound, MRI, x-ray, blah,blah they only see that same small stone. My endocrinologist thinks it might be Acute Intermittent Porphyria.(AIP). Have to be tested. I swear it is related to the nausea and dizziness because when I press in that spot or have a bad pain day I instantly feel POTSY. I'm going to my endo and my neuro in October and have been planning on mentioning it. They'll probably think I'm more nuts than usual ; :)

:) Hi everyone - Add me to the "nuts" pile too - I have had POTS for 4 years now and have a had pain in my right lower abdomen, usually in the same spot for the past few years now. I too had alot of tests done that my gastro Dr. ordered and they all came back normal. I have 2 small kidney stones that have been in the same spot for 4 years also and they said that would not cause the pain. I never had this pain before having POTS. I had a colonoscopy about 8 months ago due to this pain and that came back normal too. I am glad that you are all as "nutty" as me. I don't even mention the pain to my Dr. anymore because I am afraid he thinks I'm crazy. When you press on my abdomen, I am in alot of pain so I try not to press on it and not to think about it. Hope you all have a good night. Beth

Guest Mary from OH

Beth,

Not sure if this makes you "feel better" or not, but just because you were only diagnosed 4 years ago doesn't necessarily mean you didn't have POTS before that. Many people have had it from birth and just take years and years to get diagnosed for vairous reasons. Have you been able to look back now and see symptoms (that you know now are POTS related) and realized you've been experiencing them a lot longer than 4 years?

When I was diagnosed, that was what happened with me. The dr and I came to the conclusion that I have had POTS my entire life!!! He believes my mother has it (refuses to be diagnosed) and my daughter has also officially been diagnosed with it. Interestingly enough, I happened to marry someone who ended up getting diagnosed with vasodepressor syncope. We joke about liking to keep it all in the family!! LOL! (not really, but I'd rather laugh than cry!!)

Hi all,

Joining the thread late...

For those with right-sided abdominal pain but no diagnosis or examination findings, have you searched out "ileocecal valve"? It is the valve between the large and small intestine, is located on the right lower side, is near the appendix and cecum, and can go into spasm or become incompetent. One way to diagnose it is a barium enema (dye might get into the small intestine when it shouldn't as one possibility). Alternatively, certain practictioners of manipulative medicine may diagnose it, or perhaps a trial of some of the recommended dietary suggestions (less roughage for a little while, for example) will help.

I am not trying to diagnose anyone, but I do know that it is often missed because it doesn't show up on common tests in spite of symptoms. It is a part of our anatomy that is not emphasized in medical school.

Best wishes.

OLL

I've had the same pain and nausea, sensitive to touch stronger on the right side--symptoms as discribed on other posts. And also an acidic taste in my mouth.

When I was at the Mayo Clinic the did some test and found the bacteria in my stomach that causes ulcers.

I was diagnoses with Chronic Gastritis (I think for the high levels of IBP that I had and have been taking). Also, because I have little ability to counter act stress (chemical imbalances) that makes it all worst. So, whenever I'm under high amounts of stress the pain worstens. All consistent with Gastritis.

I take Protonix. It helps SO MUCH and out of the all the medications I take this is one of the most important because the amount of pain it saves me. I've tried several other medications to control the Gastritis and nothing is comparable for control. With all the other I was in so much pain still.

Here are a couple of websites with the symptoms, etc.:

http://seniorhealth.about.com/od/digestive...g/Gastritis.htm

http://www.pennhealth.com/ency/article/000232.htm

http://www.healthatoz.com/healthatoz/Atoz/ency/gastritis.jsp

hey,

just to add a me too, had a pelvic and kidney ultrasound a month ago and that was normal but my endo thinks i may have gallstones so i have an ultrasound on wednesday, to be honest i really hope that it is because at least then it will go away, i've had the pain for over two years and it's constant, i have had "attacks" though and got my boyfriend to call an ambulance because i was in such extreme pain and i couldn't get up of the floor and i was bent double, when the paramedics came i was drenched in my own sweat and white as a ghost, within half an hour it had eased off but i was left for the rest of the week feeling as though i'd been kicked.

i'll let you know how it goes.

becks x x x