Lexapro

I just started Lexapro 3 days ago. My Hopkins doctor prescribed it, saying he has seen GREAT improvements in his patients with it. Some of his patients have their Orthostatic Intolerance symptoms almost completely gone since taking Lexapro. I was encouraged (though not getting unrealistic expectations) and finally decided to give it a shot.

So far I have had some bouts of nausea, though not too bad. But I have had an unrelenting headache. It goes from bad-migraine status to like it is now, just a deep throbbing in the top/front of my head. Annoying!

I have already searched the discussion board and read the past Lexapro discussions, so I appreciate what I have already read on your experiences with this drug. I just wanted to post to tell you I am now trying it, too, and would appreciate any encouragement or advice.

I am also on Lexepro. Have been for last two months. I have had a significant improvement in my symptoms since starting it. I suffered really bad nausea also but this did go after a week or so. The good thing about SSRI's is that even if they don't improve your symtoms they make you happier about having them! :D

Rachel,

Did he start you at a baby, baby dose?

Maybe you need to cut back?

I just started Celexa--in liquid form a while back--and started at 2 mg!

I am at 10 mg and staying there. I have had good luck with it. I was soooo incredibly nauseas though for the first while. Then after about 14 days it just 'broke' and the tummy upset, nausea, loss of appetite, heart goofiness, etc. went away. I didn't have the headaches though. Maybe give your pharmacist a call?

Em

Hello!

I have been on Lexapro for three years now, and it is the only med I take for POTS. It was **** the first 3 months, but has been relatively smooth sailing since. It really does work wonders for me. I hope it will work well for you, too! Good luck!

I think I have posted my "low" and "slow" message a dozen times. I agree with Em. Starting at a ridiculously low dose and working up very slowly works for me to get me up to therapeudic dose with fewer side effects. I believe in giving my body plenty of time to recognize that there is something new and adjust to it.

I have a pill splitter. When I started lexapro, I started with 1/8 of a pill for a month! Believe it or not, that turned out to be very close to the therapeutic dose! Another advantage of going low and slow is that you can discover the lowest therapeutic dose and avoid having to take more of a med than is absolutely necessary to get the job done.

Jan!

We are both so similar in the med situation it always makes me smile.

I felt soooo silly with the little syringe I needed to measure out the liquid Celexa at 2 mg, but I am so glad we did it that way and did it slowly. Thank goodness my doctor is also a pediatrician! ;) He's always got a liquid form of something!

Em

I started out on 5mg (1/2 pill). Maybe that was too much. I just emailed my doctor and told him how I am feeling and if I can lower the dose. He will probably reply within the day.....

I started 5mg on Monday. For the first 3 days I had a terrible weird headache. Then when that let up, I just feel... listless. Awful. Depressed. I'm not tired or sleepy but I don't want to do anything. This is unlike me and it scares me. I haven't even eaten ANYthing in over 2 days. Just don't care to.

I hope my doc lowers the dose... or I hope this feeling goes away soon..........