Gluten Allergy

I've been exhibiting many symptoms that are pointing to a gluten allergy. I have a lot of abdominal pain and other GI issues with anything involving gluten. I have iron deficinency anemia and now my liver enzymes are acting up. I had the bloodwork done which showed I was borderline for a gluten allergy. To confirm, one of my doctor's wants me to see a GI and have an upper endoscopy. However, it takes about 2 months to see a GI here. My doc has suggested I go ahead and become gluten free as he said he would be really surprised if I don't have a gluten allergy.

Wheat is in everything!!! :blink: I live with my fiance and we are both in college. Let's just saying cooking a well prepared meal just isn't on our list of priorities. We are going to give it a good try though. Any good websites anyone can suggest? Or cookbooks?

Any further information would be appreciated! :)

-Alexia

Alexia--

My grandma has been gluten free for about 20 years now, so I've learned along with her. I've tasted many of her creations and there are some really yummy gluten-free foods out there.

Her favorite cookbooks are written by Bette Hagman

Her favorite mixes/flours/alternatives come from the Gluten Free Pantry

www.glutenfree.com

As for a college diet, it can be really hard...but maybe if you and your fiance can cook things in advance and then freeze them, then you'll have more alternatives when you need to eat on the run!

Also, by sticking to foods in their purest form, you're likely to enjoy a naturally gluten free diet...like fruits, veggies, lean meat... My grandma enjoys potatoes, rice, or gluten free noodles to add in some carbs.

Hope this helps!

I can't eat gluten -and can give you lots of recommendations! Actually if you go off the gluten and feel better, you probably don't need the endoscopy, and without eating the gluten it may come up negative anyways.

I love www. glutenfreepantry.com, and this stuff called chebe bread. It is made of tapioca, and is better than regular bread, my family is hooked. Another great substitute is rice pasta called Tinkyada, it tastes like regular pasta and doesn't get mushy.

There are many more, PM me if you'd like other brands/books/etc..

Most brand websites say what products are gluten free, I would check one of the lists at Celiac.org for hidden sources of gluten though, thats what got me sick when I first went off it. Random things like envelope glue and tic tacs have gluten in them.

Good luck - it takes some getting used to, but you will feel so much better you won;t even miss the processed food. You'll also loose alot of weight!

HI there. I have celiac and must eat gluten free - I never cheat!! I know it may seem difficult at first, but it will get easier. For quick meals, I love Amy's brand frozen dinners -- many of them are gluten free. They will say "gluten free" right on the front of the package if they are. I find these at my local grocery store - Publix - but many health food stores carry them too. Most local health food stores have tons of gluten free options.

I also like Amy's canned soups for quick meals. Many of them are gluten free as well.

To purchase GF foods online, you can try www.glutensolutions.com.

I like their website and have always gotten good service from them.

As another poster mentioned, going on a GF diet before your endoscopy may give you negative results, although it normally takes longer than that for your intestine to heal and recover completely, once you're off gluten. If you feel better without gluten, then listen to your body. ;)

Best wishes to you!

Gena

I am gluten and dairy-free and like Gena, I never cheat.

One thing is that people with celiac sometimes need to avoid dairy too while their gut heals--don't know if this is the case for you.

Claire--you are right--Tinkyada pasta is great. I will have to check out that bread you mentioned...Would you be willing to post more of your favorites???

Most stores now have huge sections that are the natural food stuff--and this is where you will find A LOT of choices and what you do and do not like.

My mom does a lot of cooking--and it is a very high maintenance diet for me, but it is worth it. If you feel better on it, you will feel like it is worth it.

Check out brands like Nature's Path, Glutino, Glutano, 'Cause you Deserve it, Gluten-Free Pantry, and now I am mental blocking on some of them...sorry...

Emily

I am gluten and dairy-free and like Gena, I never cheat.

One thing is that people with celiac sometimes need to avoid dairy too while their gut heals--don't know if this is the case for you.

Claire--you are right--Tinkyada pasta is great. I will have to check out that bread you mentioned...Would you be willing to post more of your favorites???

Most stores now have huge sections that are the natural food stuff--and this is where you will find A LOT of choices and what you do and do not like.

My mom does a lot of cooking--and it is a very high maintenance diet for me, but it is worth it. If you feel better on it, you will feel like it is worth it.

Check out brands like Nature's Path, Glutino, Glutano, 'Cause you Deserve it, Gluten-Free Pantry, and now I am mental blocking on some of them...sorry...

Emily

Hi Emily! Here are some of the other brands I love -

Pacific organic soups - they have a tomato pepper basil flavor that has a really high sodium content so it does double duty B) I get these through our ecommerce business, not sure if they are in stores.

Also there are these apple pork sausages I found at the grocery store (in the organic section) that were gluten free and were soooo good, I forgot the name though.

Pamela's mixes are excellent too- thats what I use to make brownies and cakes (once in a while I need a sugar fix - though I pay for it later!). I have brought these to social events and no one noticed they were gluten free, they really taste great.

Cereal I LOVE is called Puffins -Honey flavor- the others aren't gluten free due to the oats in them - they are great with or without milk and are organic as well.

Most grocery stores with an organic section carry stuff that is labeled "gluten free", but alot of it tastes like crap, its been a trial and error thing for me.

Hope that helps - thanks for your suggestions too, I am always looking for new stuff to try.

Ciao!

I've been gluten free up until this past year--and in the past posted loads about resources. Try using the search feature to find old posts on this topic. Nina

Claire,

Thanks for the new ideas! I, too, am always looking for new things. While the items available are increasing lots, I still get a bit bored.

The problem with most mixes is that they have some sort of dairy in them. B)

I have found some brownies thought! And good english muffin/bread type stuff-- it is the George's brand--have you tried these??? The bread is quite good and the brownies are too.

I also liek the Zebra Dreams cookies by Glutino.

Hmmm.....hard to think on the spot isn't it?

Imagine brand has some soups too and I like them. As well as Health Valley.

Thanks!

Em

Also- if you're in the mood for a splurge, Alternative Baking Company makes some really yummy gluten-free cookies. I love their snickerdoodles. Also, if you have something like this in the area, you might browse around the bulk section in the natural food aisles or health food store, because they've got lots of grains besides the BROWS. And they've got lots of kinds of 'pasta' from corn and quinoa to rice, amaranth, and buckwheat (not actually wheat). And sometimes things are labeled wheat-free and are NOT gluten-free (really annoying!). I also love the vanilla GF animal cookies by Nature's Path. They're better than the wheaty chocolate ones, too.

Oooh, I'm really starting to find some new things to try. Very exciting.

I just checked out the Chebe bread--Claire--what do you do with yours? Like how do you bake it?

I also am going to get some of that Puffins cereal as I am tired of the ones I have....

Although, I do like:

Rice Crunch 'Ems by Health Valley

Gorilla Munch and some of the other Envirokidz cereals. Also, the Envirokidz rice cereal bars are really easy to get down and a quick thing to have on hand. I like the berry flavor best, but they do come in chocolate and peanut butter.

We also just tried a new thing--by the Energie brand--which a lot of their things I do not care for--but they make a granola bar that is VERY good.

Enjoy Life Foods--just tried their chocolate chip cookies, very moist and cute cookies. Good when you need the milk-free stuff like I do.

I also eat a lot of Nabisco Cream of Rice Cereal when I can't get anything else down! It's a staple in our house.

I am going to check out the suggestions now that Megan made....

This is fun!

It is definitely trial and error and since stuff is so expensive it is nice to exchange favorites this way.

Oh, I also like the Lifestream brand frozen waffles--very good--even my mom thinks so! :lol:

Emily

Megan,

I only see wheat-free options on the Alternative Baking Company site? Am I missing something. They are made with barley flour...hmmmm....

Em

like nina said there are many helpful past posts with good suggestions. i've just been reading through them recently and found them with a search for "gluten-free".

i tested positive for two of the three antibodies that may indicate celiac disease just over a year ago. i'd wavered back & forth about whether to try a gluten-free diet without a positive biopsy (i've had two negative ones since last june) especially without the backing of a doctor. one of my neurologists brought it up to me a few weeks back though and i'm now giving it a shot to see if it helps anything. my docs & i agree that we're at a point where there's really nothing to lose so why not.

i'm not the best contributor to suggestions at the moment b/c i'm able to eat very little at all b/c of severe motility issues these days but am trying a few things in bites here and there. i'm in bed at the moment but i'll look more closely at the brands/names of things i've tried/liked and add them over the weekend.

:lol: melissa

Megan,

I only see wheat-free options on the Alternative Baking Company site? Am I missing something. They are made with barley flour...hmmmm....

Em

Oh darn it- I thought I remembered them saying gluten-free, not just wheat-free. Sorry! Glad you checked though.

Wow lots of great suggestions in this thread :blink:

Emily - the Chebe bread comes in a few different forms - you can make biscuits (my favorite - make sure to add cheese if you can tolerate it), pizza crust, cinnamin rolls, and a few others. The mix package has a few options for each and very easy instructions. They are sooooo good! I am upset cause I have been getting itchy when eating some of the the gluten free mixes, I think its tapioca of some kind doing it, so I've had to lay off the Chebe for the time being - I miss it!

Melissa - if you are having motility issues and you tested positive for the anibodies, it is probably the gluten causing it. Check out Celiac.org and read about the issues with testing, the markers and biopsies often come back negative even though a person is really positive. I have read some of your other posts and your symptoms are similar to what mine were, it took a few weeks being off gluten before I felt better, and then the difference was amazing! I kept eating things with hidden gluten accidentally, like lunch meats and some stuff with "modified food starch".

Anyways......as Alton Brown from the Food Network says "Good Eats!" (i love him)

claire -

i have done TONS on reading on celiac (including on the site you mentioned) and while perhaps gluten has contributed some to my GI issues i highly doubt (as do all of my docs) that it's the only thing going on. my motility issues are pretty severe (i.e. my emptying study monday measured that it takes 872 minutes for my stomach to empty...ON motility meds). b/c of my limited intake (very limited clear liquids only...all gluten-free) i was on a gluten-free diet for about 6 weeks with no changes. that said....i'm giving it a shot to see and will gladly take any improvement i can get but i have not once heard or read of celiac causing such severe motility issues. i'd love it if that were the case but my reality is that there's probably a lot more than that going on...

thanks though,

B) melissa

Keeping in mind anything i'm attempting to eat these days has to be very low in fat & fiber, here are a few things I've tried & liked thus far (or have had in the past) that are entirely gluten-free:

kinnikinnick Foods - Ginger Snap Cookies (no dairy either but do have eggs)

Sharwood's Indian Puppodums - made from bean floud, high salt & fun to watch in the microwave, no dairy (can also be fried if you wish)

Health Valley's Rice Crunch'ems cereal (already mentioned by dancinglight/em) - gluten-free version of rice chex

Envirokidz Peanut Butter Panda Puffs cereal

Health Valley's Original Rice Bran Crackers - a bit sweet & like a "heavier" graham cracker, look like an english biscuit (with flowers "embossed" on each cookie)

For those who are wheat-free but not gluten-free, Barbara's Wheat-Free Oatmeal Snackimals (animal crackers/cookies) are very good. They have not only oatmeal but barley flour.

I've tried some rice snaps/crackers that are okay but not nearly salty enough for me....so many gluten-free items are low in salt....ggggggggrrrrrrrrrrrr. And the rice crackers I like the most aren't entirely gluten-free (contaminated facility warning).

I tried the Hol-Grain Crackers, Brown Rice flavor, and quite honestly they taste a bit like styrofoam. And not even salty styrofoam.

Some other gluten-free ideas that generally are just that by nature are hummus, guacamole, many dried & all fresh fruits & veggies, nuts, etc. I can't eat a lot of this these days but am hoping someday again...

B) melissa

oops...i forgot one more thing.

a snack food brand "rob's cape" makes various yummy things such as pirate's booty (a cheese puff sort of thing), caramel pirate's booty (sort of like caramel corn without the roughage), and lots more. all but a few of the items (i.e. pretzels) are gluten-free.

i've liked the pirate's booty goodies for years & was excited to find them to be gluten-free. many regular grocery stores have them as well as health food stores, co-ops, etc. some (but not all) varieties are also dairy free.

B) melissa

claire -

i have done TONS on reading on celiac (including on the site you mentioned) and while perhaps gluten has contributed some to my GI issues i highly doubt (as do all of my docs) that it's the only thing going on. my motility issues are pretty severe (i.e. my emptying study monday measured that it takes 872 minutes for my stomach to empty...ON motility meds). b/c of my limited intake (very limited clear liquids only...all gluten-free) i was on a gluten-free diet for about 6 weeks with no changes. that said....i'm giving it a shot to see and will gladly take any improvement i can get but i have not once heard or read of celiac causing such severe motility issues. i'd love it if that were the case but my reality is that there's probably a lot more than that going on...

thanks though,

:unsure: melissa

Hi Melissa,

wow -I didn't realize it was that bad...sorry about that! I can't imagine dealing with it taking that long for stomach emptying. I have never heard of that severe of motility issues from Celiac either, my mistake. Hope you find out whats going on soon - Good luck!

um, but do i want to eat a food called 'booty'???? :unsure:

LOL - I agree - does that mean it will taste like "booty"? Ewwww!! (sorry to be gross)

claire & em, you gals are too much :unsure: booty = treasure. and in my opinion it definitely tastes like that, NOT like the other type of booty. silly girls. thanks for the laugh....

and yep, claire, i "impressed" the tech & my GI doc with my emptying results (or lack there of). i was in the hospital for 8 days in march and have been on IV nutrition & fluids since. new meds that i'm on (domperidone) are helping me get some "real" food & liquids (all gluten-free :blink: ) but i have a ways to go.

:unsure: melissa