My mom is really sick

Sue

I know my mom reads and posts on this forum so I thought I would let you know what is going on in our life. Friday night my mom got a very violent dizzy spell. After she went to bed to ly down and she had two seizures or convultions, they don't know yet. After that she could not stand or sit up she has never been this dizzy. She is in the hospital now for five days. She has a doctor in Ohio but the doctor at tghospital and him have been playing phone tag. We are so scared. She has not gotten any better. She just lies in the hospital bed. If she even moves she almosts passes out. The doctors don't know what to do and they don't understand what is going on. They keep telling us she has vertigo, but I know this is something to do with her NCS she has had for along time. She says that her head feels like a brick and she can't find her center. I don't know what that means but I know I have never seen her so sick. we are all scared. All we know right now is they doubled her med. she is on something like celexa?? has anyone of you ever gotten this sick and how long did it last???

sorry so long

Sues daughter and family

I am so sorry Sue is going thru this. She will be in my prayers. Hopefully this will be over soon and she can just call it some type of "spell". I will include all of you in my prayers too. Stay positive and remind her that we are all thinking of her and praying for her. Please keep us informed.

Paige

Gosh, I'm so sorry to hear about Sue!!! Please let her know that we are all thinking about her and you, the family, as well. We will keep you all in our prayers. Please keep us updated on how she is doing and what they find out.

Hugs and prayers,

Danelle

Sue, I hope your mom is doing better. Not sure if it's celexa that's causing all the problems--it didn't make me dizzy at all--just really nauseated and aggitated. However, I never could get my dose past 20 mg. Dr. Grubb wanted me on 40, but that just isn 't going to happen. The rolling nausea was just WAY too much to cope with. Who knows? Maybe your mom would do better if she was back at the prior dose? Have the docs tried that?

nina

I'm so sorry, please keep us posted and let us know if there is anything we can do. I wish I had an answer for you. I took Celexa for a short time but didn't do well with it, caused horrible headaches for me.

Celexa this is a cut and paste job taken from Potsweb

Celexa (citalopram hydrobromide) is a selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor similar to Paxil, Zoloft, and Prozac, but with the claim of fewer side effects and less potential for negative drug interactions. Serotonin reuptake inhibitors have been used for many years to treat neurally mediated hypotension and syncope (passing out). The mechanism through which central serotonin levels effect blood pressure and heart rate has not been fully mapped out. The net effect of Celexa appears to be to increase nerve communication and stimulation of the standing vasoconstriction reflex. This limits venous blood pooling and increases orthostatic tolerance. Celexa and the other serotonin reuptake inhibitors are known to increase norepinephrine release to varying degrees.

sue so sorry mom is so sick, have they checked her for inner ear disorders? i know when i have a meneieres attack it can last for hours and i am violently ill if i even move my eyes let alone my body. have they tried, valium, or meclizine? if they say it is actual vertigo, celexa will not will help. i sometimes go on a prednisone dose pak when attacks are severe and won't stop. this doesn't sound like ncs, and i know autoimmune diseases happen with dysautonomias. maybe an ear nose and throat specializing in meneires or inner ear disorders would be of more help. good luck and hope she feels better soon. morgan :)

Hi Sue's daughter!

I am so sorry to hear that Sue is so sick right now. This actually happens to me quite frequently. When I faint it looks just like I am having a seizure (shaking, spasms, drooling, biting my tongue, etc.) but I am not. I had to first go thru all the test to make sure, but it was just the POTS. Please make sure they do test for other things! So many Doctors are willing to just place the blame on the POTS/NCS when they don't want to admit that they do not know what is going on.

When I get as bad as she is right now...I need IV fluids, Salt Tablets, Dizziness Medication, Vasoconstrictors, and a mild sedative.

I hope this helps. Please let me know if there is anything I can do.

Take Care!

Katherine, that would be so nice if you could send her a card. She was supposed to have Doctor's appointment last week, I think. One of her last replies said next Tuesday, so that must have been the 27th. I wonder what could have happened between that and the horrible episode she had on Thursday/Friday. Please tell her that we are all thinking of her.

Sue's Daughter, Could you give us the name and room number for your Mom? We'd like to send here a card. How is she doing today? You and your family are in my thoughts.

Hi everyone

WOW you guys are COOL. My mom is doing a "teeny" bit better. I will let her know of all your replies she will be floored!! They have doubled her medicine now and hoping that will work. They are going to send her home tomorrow, so we have to have someone in the house at all times with her for a while. This stuff is so scary. and it is a week tonight already that it happened. Has anyone been sick like this for this long. She saw Dr. Grubb on the 27th, he took her off something else cause she gained alot of weight and was very mad about it. and then a few days later she felt really good and then that happens on Friday. It is very scary for us, I can't imagine what my mom could feel like not knowing when it is going to happen.I know she has to see that doctor again next Thursday, I can't imagine how my dad can take her how she is. Anyway thank you for all your prayers I would give you our address for cards but I don't know if she would want me to do that.

her email address is breystarr@aol.com I know she wouldn't be mad about giving that out.

Thank you again everyone

I'm just back online and catching up with some posts after a few days away from the computer---So to Sue's daughter and family--and to SUE--I'm so sorry you've been going through such a rough and scary spell! I'm glad you wrote to us and let us know what was going on! I too will keep you in my thoughts and pray for healing.

Keep us posted,

Merrill

I'm sorry I didn't see this post earlier. My mother who has never officially been diagnosed with POTS but has some symptoms, took a 40 mg doseage of Celexa and was bedridden for 3 days. She didn't go to the hospital because she refuses to go, but she said it was the worst thing she ever felt.

I hope with Dr. Grubb's guidance they are seriously looking into med reactions (Not allergic) just sensitivity, because me and my mother are seriously sensitive to things but not allergic and yes I definitely know what she means when she says she can't find her center.

My prayers are with you and your family that they figure this out soon and she gets better.

BTW, whenever I took meds that aggravated my POTS symptoms severely, even after being off them it took me a long time to recuperate back to my regular state of semi-functional POTS.

I hope this helps.