My Brain's Response To Drugs Has Changed

I've noticed, in the past 6-9 months, that my brain has simply changed. I used to suffer from anxiety, panic disorder, etc. From time to time, I would take Xanax to relieve anxiety and muscle tension particularly on my right side.

For a while, I was taking Xanax daily to manage the sustained muscle tension, but rather suddenly, I lost the need for this drug. As of 6 months ago or so, I rarely feel anxiety. And I've tried taking Xanax several times just to get that relaxed feeling effect, and it's as if the drug doesn't have the same effect on me. It's very strange.

Also, I took Depakote ER, 500 mg daily, for 10 years to manage Bipolar II disorder. I could just tell that something is different now, so I stopped taking Depakote 1 month ago. I feel no change off this drug and my mood has been stable. I am now only taking 100 mg Zoloft daily which I still feel that I need.

In addition, alcohol doesn't hit me the way it used to. Due to OI (POTS), I have essentially stopped drinking. However, once in a while I will have a couple of beers, but the effect is not the same. I don't really get a buzz--it's hard to explain.

Do any of you relate to this "brain change". I've read about people suddenly stopping smoking with MSA for example. But I am 37, and I don't have the BP dynamics associated with MSA. I meet the heart rate (confirmed by TT test) criteria for POTS, but I don't yet have a formal diagnosis.

I would appreciate the communitie's thoughts on this.

Thanks.

I also believe our bodies go through phases and can react differently to medications depending on where we are at the time. I do worry about your going off your meds to treat bipolar disorder, though. I do hope you are doing this under the care of a psychiatrist.

Michelle

I also believe our bodies go through phases and can react differently to medications depending on where we are at the time. I do worry about your going off your meds to treat bipolar disorder, though. I do hope you are doing this under the care of a psychiatrist.

Michelle

Thanks for your concern. My bipolar has been very manageable--probably my cyclothymic than full Bipolar II. I have a good doctor, and I have both Xanax and Depakote on hand if I feel myself becoming hypomanic. I have never been fully manic, just hypomanic.

But there is no question that something has simply changed. It's almost as if my mood disorder and the episodes of generalized anxiety that I delt with for so many years burned themselves out.

Joe,

I have also found anxiety and priority changes in my brain. I used to stay awake @ night thinking about life and I magicallystopped doing that,it seemed as if I were no longer the person I once was. I almost feel like I don't even connect with who I was.I think on a much different scale regarding other issues,even the smallest things are not the same. I cannot explain my issues other than my body is demanding other things from me. Good luck to you. I have found that once the answers appear they seem to roll on in faster than I'd imgined they would.I hope that holds true for you to!

Cindy