Violent Dizzy Spells?

Hello again to everyone!

I deal with mild dizziness quite often - it feels kinda like sea-sickness...

....but recently I've been having violent dizzy spells that last a few minutes and then go away.

They are pretty scary because I have to lie down

Anyone else experience this?

Lisa

As my POTS condition deteriorated (going undiagnosed for as long as it did) I began to have violent dizzy spells like you describe. I know how frightening it is--you truly feel/are not in control and have to lie down. Increasing fluids and salts helped with this almost immediately, for me.

I hope you find relief soon.

Katherine

Lalalisa, My violent episodes seem to be correlated with a very high stress time and poor sleep. Do you have any contributing factors that you know of?

The only thing I can do is drink, rest, pray and wait them out. I'm actually on my way to an endocrinologist for testing (tomorrow) to see if he can figure out why I go through these "spells". They are so difficult and scary that I requested that the doctors look into all possible reasons that they occur. I wanted my adrenal output to be tested. We'll see what he recommends tomorrow.

Meanwhile, hang in there. Nothing stays the same. When horrible stuff like this happens, I look at the clock to see what time it is and remind myself that in a few hours things will change.

there are also inner ear disorders that can cause problems. a virus called labrynthitis or even meneieres disease. i know one more thing. :o but there is a difference between vertigo and dizziness and that has to be distinguished. if the room or you actually feel like it or you is spinning around, it's vertigo and inner ear, if it's just that icky everything feels not right unbalanced feeling that's dizzy. if you have vertigo, it's a good idea to see an ear nose and throat doc as they have many meds to help with this. as far as the dizziness, i just try to deal with it. i do have meneires and take meds for it, but notice the more tired or stressed i am, the more "dizzy" i am. hope that helps morgan

I pass out quite frequently due to POTS. I have been known to pass out 7-8 times per day and up to 15 times a day on really BAD days. First...you need to see a Dr. to make sure that it is the POTS causing the dizziness. If so, here it what I have found to help:

1. Cold Rag on Forehead and Neck

2. Propping feet up making sure they are elevated above my heart

3. Drinking a Red Bull (Recommended by Dr. Grubb due to the caffeine being a vaso-constrictor)

4. Prescription Medicine

I hope one or all helps...I know what you are going through.

Good luck and God Bless!

Thanks everyone!

I am experiencing more stress than normal - which also includes less sleep. Since this seems to be the major change for me I'm thinking this is probably the culprit. If this continues I will definitely see a Dr.

It's always so encouraging to know that I'm not alone in this!

Lisa