Pots And Ibs

Hi everyone,

I was dx with IBS when I was 14. Could this have been the first symptom of POTS?

I was always really tierd around this time and missed alot of school. I had a hard time even getting out of bed........doctor thought it was depression, but I have always felt he was wrong. I had alot going on in my life at that time. I was overwhelmed maybe but not depressed.

I have had up and down symptoms from age 13 and I didn't start feeling sick "all" the time untill I was pregnant with my last child. Has this happened to anyone else?

Because I got better, I didn't think about it untill now. I wonder if it was POTS?

Any input would be great, thanks,

Amber

I have IBS and POTS. I was diagnosed with IBS around 2001 but functioned normally when I exercised and took fiber. My POTS symptoms didn't hit me full force until 2005.

Because the autonomic nervous system controls digestion, it has been my opinion that the two are somehow linked. I also had increased frequency and urgency of urination by 2002. These symptoms as well as increasing fatigue and ocassional times of near syncope, I think, were all precursors to the full blown POTS, but that's just my case and my opinion!

I never had a diagnosis of IBS, but I have always been plagued with constipation. I was too embarrassed to see a doctor about it, so I just added fiber to my diet, exercised and drank alot of water. And continued to struggle with constipation. Looking back, I realize I had alot of POTSY symptoms before I actually got sick (chest pains, fainting, poor circulation, tachycardia ) but they were so minor that I would never consult a doctor. And my blood pressure was always very low. When I did finally see a doctor(I was sooo sick I couldn't take care of my kids), he couldn't find anything wrong! and the next one and the one after him. So yes, I think I also had "pre-POTS".

I've had IBS-like problems since about 15 or so.. never an official GI diagnosis, but that's what the PCP told me. For me, though, it's been chronic diarrhea, not constipation. I eat tons of fiber, but it isn't eased by eating less. I also tried an elimination diet to no avail. Tomorrow I'm seeing a real GI doc, so I'll let you know what he has to say. When the PCP doc told me it was IBS, I just said whatever, and think of it as a way to see that there's legitimately something not right with my digestion, whatever it may be.

Thanks for your input.

I find the what I eat plays a big role on controling the IBS as well as the POTS symptoms. I have both diarrhea and constipation and most of the time it's at the same time. Not fun. :(

I'm glad I rememberd this.........now I can add it to my heath history.

They know about the IBS, but I didn't think my sick spell at 13 would be important. Maybe it is?

Thanks again,

Amber

Hi,

My doctor told me that most POTS patients have IBS as well. Digestion is of course linked to the autonomic nervous system and therefore goes hand in hand. My GI doc has said I have IBS as a diagnosis of exclusion. I have my doubts but I don't know what else it could be. I had my gallbladder removed and ever since then I get terrible pain attacks in my back. The last one I had was after eating baked beans. The pain is the most intense pain I have ever felt in my life, worse than childbirth. It is so severe that of course the POTS symptoms (shakiness, tachy, sweating, faint, etc) all kicks in at the same time. The pain lasts for about twenty minutes until the spasm is over but it knocks me to the ground. I have some constipation problems but the pain is my main issue. Have you been prescribed any medication for IBS?

I take Nulev for the pain spasms and it seems to help a little.

Good Luck,

Susan

Hi,

this thread is really interesting, i first started to have stomach problems in school when i was about twelve, the doctors had no idea what was wrong with me and i just thought i wa anxious because i was being bullied but it was even worse when i was at home, so maybe not.

i was diagnosed with IBS last year when i finally tackled my embarrasment and went to the doctors because the pain in my stomach was so severe that i couldn't stand up and i had all of the usual potsy symptoms with it (tachy, sweaty, dizzy, passing out) they prescribed me some tablets, i can't remember what they were but they didn't work so i stopped taking them.

now i don't get the pain anymore (or not as bad) but i still shift from constipation to diarreahea (sp? sorry) every day, i don't think that is normal!! my new doctor who i saw yesterday and is lovely (had heard of pots but didn't know what it involved so he looked up this web page! how sweet!) gave me some peppermint tablets to help settle my stomach a bit,as he said he would be reluctant to give me anything stronger for fear of upsetting my current meds (oh my lord a doctor who admits he doesn't know everything!) i have taken them and so far so good, no pain but nothing else either, so we'll see how it goes.

becks x x x

Does IBS cause spasms? They don't seem to be to painful for me so never thought to get treatment other then the fiber. The 'gas' pain can be more painful for me and the lower back tends to hurt.

I have had really bad pains in the lower abdomen but thought it was female issues. It's only happened about 3-4 times but I feel as though I'm going to die, the pain so bad that it hurts to cry.

Is this the same pain your talking about Susan?

Amber

Oh hey, so I saw the Gi doc yesterday, and he doesn't think I have IBS. He thinks I have either celiac disease, crohn's, or ulcerative colitis. He did a bunch of testing and I go back in 2 weeks for a colonoscopy, upper endoscopy, and some other tissue biopsy. He also didn't think that it was POTS related. If it was chronic constipation and nausea than it might be, but it's not.

When I get abdomen pain, cramps are way different from other pain. Those are dull and achy, whereas abdominal pain for me is usually sharper. (I didn't have this kind of cramp until getting my IUD. Before it was back pain- now just the abdominal stuff.)

Good luck!!!!!! <_<