Excellent Article On Hidden Illnesses

calypso

Below is a link to Jane Brody's column from earlier this week that runs in the New York Times. She was writing about a woman who did a Broadway play called "Well." She talks about how just because a physiological cause isn't found for illness, that doesn't mean the symptoms should be dismissed. And she points out that there's this brand of thinking that says if you are optimistic and take good care of yourself, you won't have health problems. We all know this is not true. But she sympathizes with those who have families and friends telling them they must not be trying hard enough to not be sick.

It reminded me of a recent post by Stacey Yount about her family saying she doesn't do more because she doesn't try.

Anyway, thought I'd share. You do have to sign into NYTimes.com, but it's free and I would highly recommend it. They also will send you headlines each morning tailored to the subjects you like -- i.e., all health stories, or food stories.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/04/04/health/04brod.html

Amy

Guest malosp
Below is a link to Jane Brody's column from earlier this week that runs in the New York Times. She was writing about a woman who did a Broadway play called "Well." She talks about how just because a physiological cause isn't found for illness, that doesn't mean the symptoms should be dismissed. And she points out that there's this brand of thinking that says if you are optimistic and take good care of yourself, you won't have health problems. We all know this is not true. But she sympathizes with those who have families and friends telling them they must not be trying hard enough to not be sick.

It reminded me of a recent post by Stacey Yount about her family saying she doesn't do more because she doesn't try.

Anyway, thought I'd share. You do have to sign into NYTimes.com, but it's free and I would highly recommend it. They also will send you headlines each morning tailored to the subjects you like -- i.e., all health stories, or food stories.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/04/04/health/04brod.html

Amy

She added: "Empathy on the part of people who are well is very hard to come by. When you're sick and get better, it's hard to remember what it was like to be sick."

This above part of her article is so true. I have never been really sick until this and it has lasted 8 months. AFter awhile you feel like you will never be well. And I must admit having never really been sick, I wasn't prepared for the lack of empathy, I got from not only friends BUT also family.

So if one positive thing comes out of all this suffering I have had - it is that I know who my true friends are now. I know what family members I can count on and sometimes it is not the ones you think it would be. I now know that I will be there for any of my family or friends who need me because my sickness has taught me to be more empathic with those that are sick. And you know what...I don't think I will ever forget that.

Thanks for the post....