Anyone In Ny Use Access-a-ride

Last summer I was out of work most of the summer and in the hospital and now that its starting to get warm again and I am not feeling great the doctor is very concerned about me riding on the subway and buses to get to work... and since parking is too expensive and I can't always drive the doctor reccomended me taking Access-a-Ride which is basically a van for handicapped/elderly people that would drive me door-to-door. When he suggested it to me, I got really upset. I feel like now only people that I tell know that something is wrong with me, since it is an "invisible" illness. I know that many people with this condition are in wheelchairs and much worse than I am, but as terrible as it sounds I am really embarrassed by the idea of taking the "handicapped" van. However the doctor is right, I can barely standup on hot days, nevermind ride a hot train where I might get a seat. I guess this was just me venting, and wondering if anyone has experience with this.