Birth Control Pills And Pots

Hello!

I'm on Yasmin which is a different formula and seems to be much more gentle than many of them.

It was a trial and error time when i went on them because I started out on Ortho Tri and it made me feel angry/edgey. The key is to find something that works well for you and has the fewist side effects.

I've not tried Lupron. Is it new??

I take 2 pill packs in a row to skip a period because I'm so symptomatic during those times.

Hope you find something that works well for you, :)

Lisa

Yasmin contains drospirenone, which has diuretic properties. Probably a really really really bad idea for someone with POTS. It is contraindicated in people with kidney or adrenal problems.

Lupron is a synthetic imitation of gonadotropin-releasing hormone (GnRH). Normally, the hypothalamus (part of the brain) secretes GnRH in bursts, about 90 minutes apart, into the vein that runs from the hypothalamus to the pituitary. The GnRH then causes the pituitary to secrete follicle-stimulating hormone (FSH) and luteinizing hormone (LH). In women, these two hormones cause your ovaries to produce eggs and secrete hormones, including estrogen. In men, they cause the testes to produce sperm and sex hormones. However, if your pituitary gets a steady exposure to a GnRH agonist, it initially secretes a lot of FSH and LH but then stops listening to the GnRH and dramatically reduces the FSH and LH secretion. Your menstrual cycle stops, and you stop secreting sex hormones. You get menopausal symptoms from the estrogen withdrawal. Lupron is generally used to stop sex hormone secretion in people with sex-hormone dependent cancer (e.g., some women with breast cancer and men with prostate cancer). It is sometimes used to treat endometriosis. It is also used to control the LH secretion and thus prevent premature ovulation in women who are getting FSH-containing drugs to make them produce lots of extra eggs for in vitro fertilization.

If you just want to make your periods less horrible, a regular hormonal birth control method (pills or the vaginal ring) is worth asking about. If you just want to skip periods, the doctor might suggest a continuous regimen of regular hormonal contraceptive.