Beaded Medical Bracelets

Roselover

Hi everyone,

A while ago, MM got me hooked on making myself beaded medical bracelets. If you want to make your own, I'll tell you how to do it!

Edited by Roselover: OK... never mind the PM's - lots of you want to know, so I have to upload some pictures of my own bracelets to my website then post them here with the instructions. Be back soon to post it all!

~Roselover

OK... the first thing I did was get a basic medical bracelet with a chain. I got mine from MedicAlert, but you can get them in pharmacies etc.

2)Then I removed the chain from both ends leaving a ring on one side of the tag.

3) Then to make the bracelets I bought:

Beads, lobster claw clasps and powercord (a thin elastic cord)

I found that using the powercord has held up better than the beading thread I tried at first. Also, I don't have to be quite as precise in the length of the bracelet because it has a little give. I am also able to to tie the power cord better than than the thread.

4) Measure your wrist and tag. Subtract the length of the tag and you know how long your bracelet should be, but when you make your bracelet, don't forget to incude the length of the clasps. You don't want the bracelet too loose or it will catch on things.

5) I lay out my beads and design a bracelet. I have a little board someone made for me, but a peice of cloth will work too - you just need something that wil allow you to lay out the beads without them rolling around. After designing the bracelet, I lay the clasps at each end and measure to see if I am close to the right length.

6) I cut a piece of powercord with extra length for tying. I tie on one lobster claw using several knots.

7) Then I bead the bracelet and lay it down again with the second clasp laying at the end and measure again. Sometimes, I find that I am a little off and have to restring the beads to get the right length.

8) When the length is about right, I tie on the second lobster claw onto the other end.

9) I hook one clasp onto the open side of my tag, put it around my wrist and connect the other clasp to the ring I left on the medical tag.

AND VOILA! You have a beautiful personalized medical tag!

Here are some pics of a few of mine ( I've made my self lots! I may not feel like getting dressed or beautified - but it's fun to pick which bracelet I'm going to wear today)

P1010043.jpg

P1010047.jpg

Any questions?????

~Roselover

I will also post specific instructions in how I make my own bracelets and where to locate the supplies needed. Making them yourself can save you lots of money longterm--initially you'll have to pay for a few items like special pliers and beading wire or thread, beads, etc. But all in all, those things still cost less than buying from a store on the web that custom makes them.

:) Nina

anyone who wants to know where I get my supplies, just email me. I use pretty much a single source for everything except Balinese beads, which I order direct from Bali, wholesale because I use so many of them.

I'll post my step by step photos as soon as I can--I came home sick from work today, so it wont be today! I've got bronchitis and a sinus infection...again!

Nina

Oh, and the medicalert folks will gladly make you JUST a tag--no chain or bracelet. I got one from them that way--as a member, they only charged me a small amount for the tag--much less than the standard bracelet. Just ask. Also, you can buy a blank tag at any pharmacy and take it to a jeweler to be engraved any way you want. It's completely up to you! Nina

Corina,

Yes, there are places you can order beads and supplies from. I don't get out much either so it helps me to be able to buy online. But you might also google, beading supplies and see what you come up with.

I'll PM you with the website I order from. I think it's actually the same as MM because she's the one that got me started! :-)

MM: I hope you feel better! You've sure had more than your share of extra pains and illness! When you feel better, I'd like to know what Balinese beads are! I'll have to google Bali but maybe you can show us some pics of your bracelets too.

~Roselover

I'm not good at all with tying knots. How successful do you think I will be with making a braclet??? I'm also not good with instructions (I do better with someone showing me).

I'm interested but I'm afraid of spending a lot of money and not being able to do it. What do you think? How difficult or easy is this?

Thanks for posting this!!!

Poohbear, I don't use knots in mine...I'll pm you what you'll need and where you can find them; also if anyone else wants to know, just PM me as I will not post the website of the supplier I use--it's against forum rules :)

Nina

Bali beads are handmade sterling silver beads--often made in Bali, although some are now made in India. If you do a google search using the terms "bali beads" you'll get tons of results.

Also, I order my sterling letter beads from a wholesaler here in the US that gives me discounts for buying in bulk--which I need to do in order to keep the Croatian online store I work with stocked with the bracelets I make for them, and also I often make bracelets as gifts--particularly mother's bracelets that have the name of their children--one name per strand. I've found that it makes a great "new mom" gift...and for my one friend who's baby was very premature, it was a daily reminder of her daughter, even on the days when she couldn't get to the hospital (she lives about 30 miles from the hospital where her daughter was taken--and mom is afraid to drive in the city).

I'll try to post pictures today... we'll see. Nina

Okay, I feel too icky today to post photos b/c it requires I get out all my beading supplies, so I thought I'd start with some basics: If you want to know where I order from, you'll need either PM me or email me privately.

I use beading wire (I use .19 gauge, nylon coated wire)

you'll need silver crimp beads (2 per bracelet, one on each end)

you'll need crimping pliers, used to close the crimp bead around the wire and hold on to the clasp--any decent jewelery or beading supplier will have these. I also have nippers to cut wire very close to the edge of a bead.

and you'll need 2 silver plated brass lobster claw clasps--one for each end to hold the medical tag

This is just my opinion--I don't get sterling clasps--they are too soft a metal and will not hold up well--they bend too easily, pull open, and that's how I almost lost my tag. The plated ones will eventually scratch or tarnish, but they're cheap enough that I just restring with a new set of clasps when that happens.

and, of course, you'll need whatever beads you want to use

+i edited out this long post of mine...everything you need is in my link to http://missmightymouse.com/MakeYourOwn.html +

Okay, here is my step by step guide to making your own bracelets. I posted it in a section of my website so that I didn't clog up the forum with all the photos I ended up using. Hope those of you who want to attempt making your own medical bracelet will find this easy. With photo taking included, it took me 15 minutes to make the bracelet in the picture. Now, making the webpage took me more than an hour :)

Nina

http://www.missmightymouse.com/MakeYourOwn.html

Hi Roselover

Your bracelets are lovely!! Great job! Also, I went into your website and saw your watercolor paintings and I think you are very talented indeed! I've placed a link to an artist website that is terrific, if you haven't already seen it. It has forums that you are able to learn tons of information that are graciously donated by other artists. Some beginners and some professionals that are very willing to share their wisdom about anything from painting, sketching, inks, and also publishing & supplies as well as the how toos.

Also if you want to place your artwork on the forum for fellow artists to critique and give advice they have a spot for that. No one is cruel they give educational instructions, advice or kudos. If you like the site, and need help in any of the areas just holler at me or anyone on there for the how toos.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/

Keep up the good work and keep creating!

best wishes from a fellow artist.

oooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh nina,

i do't have much time, as my husband is going to take me for a walk in my wheelchair (fresh air!!!!!!!) but i looked at your site and i am sooooooooooo excited!!!!!!!!! your bracelets look so beautiful and you gave a GREAT explanation on how to do this. my my, yu really are mighty!!!!

mighty thanks, nina i will have another look at it tomorrow, but i'm excited already!!!

thank you thank you thank you!!!!

corina :rolleyes:

Nina, I'm so sorry you couldn't sleep the other night, but you sure were productive! Your webpage is great.

Nina's bracelets are better quality than mine. When I first started I couldn't afford to invest in a crimping tool and didn't know how to use it anyway. Now I just may have to invest in one :rolleyes: . I do like the stretchy cord too though.

I have also started making bracelets for little girls. I used to know lots of the kids at my church, but have found that being homebound, I don't know many now. So when I make it to church and see a little girl, I introduce myself and give them a bracelet. I've made many new little friends that way!

Sally, thanks for the compliments about my art. I am new at it and am learning more everyday. I am signed up at the wetcanvas website - just started going there about a month ago. I've learned a lot from there! In fact, if you go the watercolor forum gallery, I just posted my first portrait for feedback. The post is titled "My first portrait". I'll add it to my website soon.

We'll have to PM more about art soon and I'll have to check out your website too!

~Melanie