Another Tilt Table But With Meds

MNsue

I need to have another TT test, because my new MD wants to see how I respond to different meds while I have Tachycardia. The first TT was pretty awful. I was shaking, sweating, nauseated, dizzy, and my heart rate went to 165. I did not pass out, but was very weak after.

Has anyone else been given meds while on the TT? Did it make the test better or worse? I am really dreading doing this again. Did the TT test with medications help your diagnosis and treatment? I am willing to do this again if it helps in the long run.

Rhonda

Hi Rhonda,

The TTT is no fun, but if I were you, I would EMBRACE anyone who was trying to help you and try to tolerate another test. The way I see it is that I could be really miserable in a test, but I guarantee that I will be miserable later at home, and wishing that they knew ANYTHING that could help. I'm afraid of regretting it if I don't do everything possible to try to get some relief.

But only you are in your own skin and know what you can tolerate. I hope you discuss your fears with your doctor so that he/she is aware of how difficult it is for you and they can try to help you in any way possible.

Good luck!

Hi,

I only did one TTT with meds. Usually when I do a ttt it takes me 3 days to get back to baseline. The time I did it with my meds I was paralysed for 2 hours and it took me 5 days to get back to baseline. Everyone is different but this is my own experience.

hi.. Its rough, having the test, I have been through it twice. But what choice do we have really when there is a possibility of getting help? Hang in there..I got very sick on both of mine.. I didn't pass out.. My lower legs turned blue.. i lost feeling in them.. I was so nauseous.. and my bp just kept going up..along with my hr..

hang in there..let me know how it turns out!

jan

Hi there!

I think it's definitely valuable to test you to see how you respond to various medications before prescribing something that may or may not work. The tilt table procedure seems a little excessive to me though. Since they know you've got POTS and all, it seems like it would be just as valuable for them to do orthostatics on you at various intervals after taking the meds... That's basically what we do at Vandy, and theirs is under controlled research settings. If your doc really wants to see the EKG machine then I guess it might be valuable, but if you two know what's going on with you already, and you know how you feel, then my guess is taking 1,3,5 minute orthostatic vitals every hour or so for a few hours would work just as well.

Good luck!

BTW, I did my first tilt on meds per the doctor's request. I think for diagnostic tools and general info, though, it's better to do it without meds.