Your Ideal Doctor's Office

kmpower

Hi everyone,

If you could design the waiting room of a doctor's office and money were sort-of an object, but you wanted to keep the comfort of dysautonomia patients in mind, what would you want to see?

For example, it is hard for me to sit still easily so I would want lots of interesting things around the office so I could walk and look at them without looking like I am pacing.

I would like a lounge chair because just sitting upright is harder for me.

I would like something to listen to because silence makes my tinnitus worse.

Any other things?

OLL

A nice soft recliner.....mmmm sounds soo nice. :)

Jacquie

Very compassionate receptionist who asks if there's anything she/he can do to make your wait more comfortable. (A good-looking 'he' would be nice, but he'd have to have good boundaries for all of us dreamy-eyed ladies, and he might affect our BP/HR. :) ) Said receptionist would know our names on sight, would always cheerfully offer to call our insurance company to work out any snags, and would always say, "Call us anytime!" as we were leaving.

Chair massage, maybe by the nice, compassionate man. (If money is an object, make the cost low.)

Big white posters and lots of colorful pens to leave notes for all of the other POTS patients we know (or draw pictures) (and 'user names only', remember HIPAA, j/k), and also would serve Lady Light's need to stay busy. A large aquarium for Lady Light to watch. Maybe a place to display patient's art or poetry/prose.

Would only take POTS patients so we could all commiserate and encourage each other.

Dr. Grubb.

Pillows (with disposable pillow covers) and soft blankets.

Plants and a nice doggie and kitty. Oh, wait, some are allergic . . . Okay, TWO waiting rooms, one with a . . .

Guest CyberPixie

A big comfy bed :rolleyes:

Air conditioning (they dont have them here in UK in hospitals and dr's rooms, nightmare in summer)

A dr who believes everything you say, listens properly and actually helps for once!

Yes, yes, very good...

Water, now why didn't I think of that? Maybe I was dehydrated at the time...

OK, hypoallergenic massaging chairs or chairs with stools (bed, well, I guess room would be another limiting factor) with cute critters and things to watch and do, people who are nice and understand and get to know your name, A/C plus hypoallergenic blankets and pillows, bulletin board/place to show off pictures (and POTS poems and stories?), good water and healthy munchies, natural lighting...

What other bad, scary, uncomfortable things happen in waiting rooms that could be changed with design and staffing? My worst moments are waiting, sitting, worrying.

Thanks for helping me dream.

OLL

This question is real easy for me.

If the appointment says 9:00 AM, then the doctor is ready to see you at 9:00 AM. No waiting, or very little.

That means, no going back into a small room where you wait another 10 minutes.

That would be my ideal doctor visit.

My ideal office visit would be to be take right back to the exam room without having to wait and then the doc would come right in..... yea right.

Maybe being taken straight back to the exam room, luxurious with aroma therapy and candles and music and dont forget my pool boy, Raoul, to bring me my fresh carrot juice. BTW Raoul is 6' 3' latin, gorgeaous thighs and strong arms , black hair, blue eyes and lives in my imagination. He has been bringing me margaritas for years.

:rolleyes: Janine

I am lucky, the past several visits I grab the only loveseat in my docs waiting room! Now with that said, I will not get it on my next visit. I sit sideways and recline with feet up while waiting.

In the exam room I ask them to flatten the table it if isn't so I may lie down. The exam room is always cool and sometimes cold...but healthier than warm.

They have lots of air circulating in waiting room as well. Germs breed in those hot rooms.

My perfect exam room would be not to have to BE in one at all!!!

And smells can nauseate me so the less smell, the better! lol

Oh yes, if I do have to wait to be seen, I will move a second chair up to my legs and put them up on the chair.

And like Sophia said, if I'm feeling symptomatic, I'll recline on the examination table while doing my waiting in there (instead of sitting up on one of the chairs).

The ideal doctor's office is NO OFFICE. I despise going to a doctor's visit. You could make it as enjoyable as possible and I would still despise it because I have to get there and be there. Music wouldn't help, food, other luxeries, it doesn't matter. I despise the entire process. Oh well, I'd better get used to it. I support doctors and their cars. :D

I love Dr. Abdallah's waiting rooms- big comfy couches, lots of water available, friendly staff, some plants, plenty of magazines, books, a dvd playing for the kids... but if I could design my own, I would add recliners, blankets, high footstools to elevate legs, dark colored paint and nothing flashy on the walls (bright things and distractions bother me), soothing yoga/massage type music, pillows, and dim lighting. :D)

Mornings are the worst for me. My neuro and EP/Cardio always make pm appointments for me, thank goodness!!!!