What Meds Do You Guys Take For Lightheadness/dizziness

DSM3KIDZ

I have been experiencing lightheadness alot lately so much that I'm scared to drive and it's making me also feel anxious. I'm also alot weaker and tired than normal. Anyways I have a neuro appointment on Monday and I need to be armed with information seeing as she always asks which meds I would like to try. I hate that because I would feel more confident if she told me exactly what I need to try.

What meds help all of you with being light headed? I know everyone is different I would just like to know your experiences

Dayna

Hi Dayna

Although I found the best thing for the lightheadedness was getting my BP undercontrol (it would drop on standing and make me very dizzy) I did find that Prochlorperazine really helped. It was prescribed to me for vertigo but helped with any dizzyness or nausea. You can take it when you feel symptoms coming on which I found better than taking a set amount daily.

Apart from that, I know it sounds obvious but gettting alot more rest (upto 15 hours sleep daily) and eating properly really helps. Try eating little and often to ensure you're blood sugars are stable. Another obvious one but avoiding stressful situations helps- I improved after giving up work and although I am not saying you need to go that far, if you just avoid the stress and sleep more its just as good!

Good luck

Katie

Thanks Katie

I think that drug is compazine right? I tried that awhile back for my constant nausea and had some scarry side effects. Thanks for your response though. I don't work outside of the home but have 3 kids so that's alot of work. I feel I've been getting the sleep, avoiding stress and eating good so that's why I think I'm going to have to try a med...............or hope it passes soon.

Thanks Again

dayna

More than a drug, water and moving around helps me the most. I feel lightheaded always and at first was afraid to drive. But sometimes, drinking lots of water early in the day and moving around to get it in my system contributes to the afternoons being better than the mornings -- unless, of course, I have to stand long, or sit still long. Driving usually makes me feel better -- I think because of the movement, the distraction of things, and the "active sitting".

I hope your doctor experience is a good one.

OLL

Hi,

Florinef has helped me the most. I was prescribed Meclizine, but never actually took it because I HATE taking meds!!!!!!!!! ....with a passion.

Before you can really treat your dizziness/lightheadness, I would try and find out what might be causing this. I know that dysautonomia doesn't always allow us such easy answers, but maybe your bp isn't stable, your blood sugars are low. Things of that nature. I know that taking florinef and midodrine have helped some with my lightheadedness/dizziness bc I have orthostatic hypotension which induces this. I also have to keep an eye on my blood sugar too bc I'm hypoglycemic, and this can affect you the same way. I do believe that having these illnesses may just cause the dizziness itself, but I'm sure you can find something to help illeviate the discomfort. best of luck to you dear!

Have a wonderful evening! :)

Nicole

LOL. The neuro asking, 'what medicines would you like to try?'

Hi DSM, I had really HORRIBLRE dizziness from POTS. The things that helped the most were the things that help my POTS in general - lots of salt, fluids, beta blocker, florinef, compressionhose...also exercise and practicing walking. Practicing walking was key, and it did get easier over time. I've heard all of the dizziness meds make you drowsy. My docs weren't sure they would help me because my problem was from not enough blood going to my head, and not the usual inner ear stuff that people take dizziness meds for.