Anyone try Melatonin for sleep?

carlacat

Melatonin can affect blood pressure and heart rate, so I would sure go slowly. Maybe start with .5 mg and work up gradually. Maybe talk with your pharmacist about this in light of your other meds.

These are known side effects, published in the Natural Medicines Comprehensive Database. Your pharmacist will have a copy.

BLOOD PRESSURE: Melatonin can increase blood pressure in patients treated with antihypertensive medications. Immediate-release melatonin 5 mg at night in combination with nifedipine GITS (Procardia XL) increases systolic blood pressure an average of 6.5 mmHg and diastolic by an average of 4.9 mmHg (6436).

HEART RATE: Melatonin in combination with antihypertensive medications can increase heart rate. Immediate-release melatonin 5 mg at night in combination with nifedipine GITS (Procardia XL) increases heart rate by an average of 3.9 bpm (6436).

some have had good luck with melatonin, others have had bad, and yet others haven't noticed any effect at all. it has been discussed several times previously - one within the past few weeks - so i would definitely do a search for more detailed info/experiences.

B) melissa

It is great for helping reset circadium rhythms...I took it for years until I saw an endo and my prolactin levels were increased....I stopped the melatonin (I was taking 3 mg) and the levels went down.

course with this llness, it could've been a coincidence. However, melatonin HAS been shown to raise prolactin levels.

I sometimes take part of a tab to help with sleep...matter of fact, I have been awake until 4 am for week so will try some tonight.

it can cause vivid dreams but I have those anyway.

It's best to take a couple hours before you want to sleep if it doesn't help right away. I used to have an article that told when to take it in the summer versus the winter.

I also let it dissolve under my tongue though it stays grainy and I have to spit it out after 30 minutes...but THAT can get it into your system quicker.

I think 1mg doses are safter. Dr. Weil mentions also about the long term affects it has since it is a hormone.

So you just need to read, risk the pros and cons and make your own decisions. It certainly is helpful for short term use...or intermittent use.

I would try it but enlighten yourself. and check the sources you read (don't read the sites that sell it! LOL)

good luck

I've tried melatonin and it never does anything for me. I also recently had an RX for Rozerem, which is melatonin in concentrated form according to Dr. Grubb, no addiction factor. It would put me to sleep, but then I was up again in 2 hours. Sigh.

Hope you have better luck! :ph34r:

Peace and Light,

Lulu :ph34r:

I'd be careful. In fact, I'd personally try something else before I tried melatonin. I only say that because of this study: http://jp.physoc.org/cgi/content/full/551/3/1043

The last line says, "The attenuation of MSNA during LBNP supports the concept that melatonin might have a negative impact on orthostatic tolerance in the general population and may be deleterious to astronauts who are susceptible to post-spaceflight orthostatic intolerance."

Michelle

Melatonin was a life saver for me!

I had no negative side effects and sleep very well. I didn't have trouble coming off of it when I no longer needed to take it, either.

You may experience very vivid dreams or heavy sluggishness if the dose you take is too high for you.

Angela

• 5 years later...

I'd be careful. In fact, I'd personally try something else before I tried melatonin. I only say that because of this study: http://jp.physoc.org/cgi/content/full/551/3/1043

The last line says, "The attenuation of MSNA during LBNP supports the concept that melatonin might have a negative impact on orthostatic tolerance in the general population and may be deleterious to astronauts who are susceptible to post-spaceflight orthostatic intolerance."

Michelle

MSNA is already increased in most patients with POTS so in that case attenuating MSNA might be helpful rather than deleterious. ALl forms of POTS ultimately result in increased sympathetic drive.