Unusual bruising

A rheumologist thought I might have it because he thought my joints were really flexible for someone my age. That was just a casual exam. I never mentioned the problem with bruising though he did find a couple of strange cigarette burn scars. I never got the blood test for it. The feeling at the time was there is really nothing that can be done. What do you think about EDS and what can be done about it or for it? I would welcome your input. Thanks

I have the hypermobile type of EDS and have bruised easily all my life. I have a big bruise on my thigh that I have NO idea where it came from. :)

Nina

Thanks everyone for sharing your bruises with me! Actually, I did look at the US and the UK website. But---I didn't see where there really was anything you could do to treat EDS. I know the EDS group that involves thin arteries etc is certainly a problem.

My bruises are humongous--I have one on my hip that is now starting to fade but I bet it was the size of a postcard.

Have any of you tried Arnica salve to help clear up the bruises?

You might want to think about seeing a geneticist to investigate EDS. No, there isn't a whole lot they've been able to do to treat my EDS. Still, I was happy to FINALLY find out what I have that is causing POTS. God Bless Dr. Rowe for being so observant and discovering this in some of us. There just aren't enough doctors like him out there.

Also, having the EDS diagnosis can be helpful if you decide to have kids (or have already had them). EDS is genetic, so there is a possibility your kids could get it too. My doctor monitors my aorta, because sometimes problems can occur. And I don't think you can donate your organs if you have EDS. Just a few things that I can think of off the top of my head...

Take care,

Michelle

One more thing....having the EDS diagnosis explained a lot of other odd little things to me....Like why it took so long for cuts to heal. I could get a pimple and still have a red mark from where it was 6 months to a year later. When I had surgery to remove a tumor from my arm it took FOREVER for the scar to turn white. It was red/purple for literally years, and you can still see every little stitch mark. When people would ask me about it I'd say "Oh that...that's just my Frankenstein". :) Anyhow, having the EDS diagnosis helped me to understand why my body is the way it is. I'm glad I have the diagnosis, even if there isn't a whole lot that can be done for it.

Michelle

Hi there, I'm pretty sure I don't have EDS but I know I am very clumsy and have tons of bruises on my arms and legs that my kids love to point out. I have no clue where they come from. I do have a theory. Because of my POTs I learned that I have a gated walk and some dizzy spells that make me occasionally veer to one side or another. I am constantly running into walls or bumping my hips and legs on protruding objects and toys. Because I alway seem to be running around or in a hurry...I usally just sort of bump and go. I think now I don't even notice, but my husband will occasionally inform me that the wall has always been there:)

Now, if I have blood drawn or an IV and it's not done just so....I will get one of those postcard size huge bruises on my arm. I thought it was some some kind of injury when I came home from having my first child, so I took a picture. They really hurt but can also just look really hideous. I have no clue how to fix these, but I really feel for you.