What is brain fog?

Lisa

I've read alot of things on here where people talk about a symptom of POTS called "brain fog." I'm not sure if i get this or not, but i think that sometimes it is hard to tell what is normal and what is not since you aren't used to anything else. What happens to you when you have brain fog?

This is going to be hard since I've been suffering since last night with it. :)

Brain fog is very real. It is a horrible symptom with many causes. I used to think that it was because I wasn't getting enough oxygen to my brain from my anemia.

I can experience complete forgetfulness, blurred vision, sometimes I feel like I'm drunk, inability to talk, slurred speech, tripping over or twisting words, can't concentrate, confusion about what I'm doing or saying. I think when I'm at work and this happens, it completely drains me physically trying to focus.

:) that is my brain fog expression :P lack of concentation, forgettgullness, i use to be able to spell and type, can't remember if i've told people stuff or not, can't remember if i took meds, lose train of thought in middle of sentence, short term memory loss, and all of the above post. see can't even remember who posted. my hubby can always tell, because i slow down, he says my eyes are "funny" slurred speech and all cognitive stuff. not making much sense here, brain fog lol. morgan

I think I actually have had this...I just thought something was wrong with me, I didn't know it was an actual POTS sympton. It probably was the actual brain fog that caused me to not know what it is :)

Thanks for replying

Yup, it's all of those things. The worse for me is the short-term memory loss. It can be positively scary. While driving to the grocery store a couple of days ago, I couldn't remember how to get there. The looking and speaking and acting stupid is bad enough, but being lost is the pits. :)

I quit driving after the second incident where I was suddenly aware I was driving. But didn't know where. I was on my way home from work both times and suddenly didn't know where I was or where I was going. I woke up one morning and didn't know who I was or where I was (or who was in bed with me!) fortunately it only lasted 30-45 min that time. Hubbie recognizes it in me very quickly and knows not to leave me alone in the house. Sometimes we will be in the middle of a conversation and I forget what we are talking about! It seems to be worse if I have overdone myself physically a day or two before. It scared the **** out of me at first!!!

I feel so much better knowing that some of you forget things like I do. I thought that I might have something really wrong. Especially when I, too, woke up one morning and didn't know who I was. Several times last fall the docs thought I might have had a stroke although they found no evidence of one. This was when I was starting to have my worst period pre-diagnosis. But I still think sometimes that maybe they just didn't see the damage. Now that I've found out that many of you have the same symptoms, it is so much easier to accept.

I still drive because I always recognize where I am, I just can't seem to remember how to get to where I'm supposed to be going. I have always been able to find my way home, though.

I also forget words. Like asking my husband to get me something out of the refrigerator, I forget what the refrigerator is called. These bad episodes always seem to happen towards the end of the day when I'm tired. Thankfully they don't last long. :D

Brain fog is probably one of the worst symptoms of PoTS. To me it feels like I am spaced out, living in a different dimension. During the times that it is at its worst, I have slow responses, cannot bring myself to concentrate (VERY FRUSTRATING BECAUSE IT CAN HAVE A DTRIMENTAL IMPACT ON YOUR WORK), and cannot enjoy what I am doing in general. It definitely feels like I have had 4 or 5 glasses of wine. I have told this to a Doctor and he said to me. "That is cool!! You are a lucky man feeling "high" all of the time; and I responded; do you want to trade places??

I second that it feels like you have had five glasses of wine, but without the enjoyment of the relaxing feeling that comes with the first two, but with immediate full "drunk effects"

It becomes difficult to concentrate, your words slurrhh, you go more wobblely than usual on your feet. Things become "foggey" it's like everything is happening somewhere else, and your just being dragged along. You get all jumbled say things back to front and generally get all in a pickle. My brain actually hurts, and it's like your trapped in another world. Mine is happening for longer each day at the moment, and nothing stops it. It goes as quickly as it starts.

It's most definitely not pleasant :) and i've been told how lucky i am, i pointed out the fact that it was all the pain without the enjoyment.

Good luck everyone...