New - Introduction

mf1222

Hi all,

I have just joined up and could use advice. I was diagnosed last summer (after passing out while visiting a relative in the hospital of all places!!). I went through tilt table testing, and was told I had NMH/NCS (hereditary), and was hypovolemic. Looking back I've had symptoms for years, some of which doctors had told me not to worry about. Heat is my biggest trigger, so I had just started dealing with this before the weather turned cooler. I'm already having more problems now that it's getting warmer again. I have some questions:

I've just recently started having problems with feet and ankle swelling. I work a desk job, and have to constantly shift positions with my legs (sit cross-legged in my chair, switch one leg up at a time, swing them, etc). I also get very fidgety and have a hard time sitting through our occasional 2 hour meetings. Before I only had problems with standing - I can't stand for more than about 10 minutes (less in warm weather) before I feel faint. Is this new swelling something I should be concerned about? Is there anything else I can do besides get up and walk around every once in a while? (hard to do - this is a small, crowded office!!)

I also began having problems with A LOT of food allergies and intolerances in the last couple of years, with gluten being the last thing I've had to eliminate. I still get bloating after I eat, and my doctor has recommended I stick with smaller, more frequent meals. I've been working on that for about a week and I'm having a hard time figuring out just how little to eat at a time. It seems like I can barely eat anything before I bloat up!!! Can those of you eating this way give me ideas on what a meal would be like for you or how often you eat?

Any advice for a newbie would be appreciated! I wasn't paying as much attention to things this winter since I was feeling better, so I feel like I'm having to learn all over again. Thanks to those who started this forum!

Hello and Welcome!

If you can ask your employer for a chair with a foot rest, it helps a lot! I have one and love it. (I also have a desk job and sitting for more than a few minutes w/ my feet down is just miserable). I have used boxes, shelves etc and finally got up the nerve to ask. They don't cost that much more than a regular nice office chair. I also get up at least once an hour for a little walk..Even if it is just to go to the bathroom and get something to drink. That is important and necesary for me too.

I eat a few small meals too...or is it snack all day...I wonder sometimes. lol

:):)