turning red and itchy allready!

dizzygirl

hi folks.. i'm looking for pointers.. I got hooked up to the cardionet monitor yestedday.. and allmost instatnly i started to itch!! i'm super snesitive to stuff like this...they sent me the laytex free leads.. but I'm ithcing big time.. and i'm getting nice and rashy...(julie if you read this.. rememebr how red and itchie i got after my EP study?? ---its like that!! :) ).. and my skin is turning RED!!..

So i'm wondering do any of you have any pointers to over come the itchies from monitor leads..???? I've got some benadryl.. and am womndering if that will help the itchiness at least.. the irritation.. i'll have to dance around that...

its pathedic just 24 hours into this .. and i'm so red and itchie/skin irriatated!! wow!! what trip!

itchydizz

Linda, I would be very Careful!!! I've had several anaphylactic reactions to "latex-free" leads before, fortunately I was in the hospital or ambulance every time, but good god watch out for those things! I would have died had I been alone during those reactions.

I'd stop wearing them right away and tell your doc about it right away.

Becuase of my allergies, when I have to wear leads, we cut the sticky stuff off of them, and tape the "node" part to my chest with paper tape, then wrap my whole torso in latex-free Coban (the brown kind, the other colors have latex in them...yup, learned that the hard way too). I look like a tan mummy, but it keeps me from having reactions. Perhaps you could do the same.

Whatever you do, take off those leads until you can figure something else out!

Good grief, girl now I'm going to be worrying about you all night! :)

Hugs,

Lauren

Hi, Linda,

Just a suggestion, but I don't know if it will work. My event monitor kept going off because the leads didn't stay well (when I was wearing the pediatric ones). The monitoring company told me to use Band-aid to stick them on. (remove the sticky stuff and put two Band-aids in an X over the leads). I'm very allergic to the regular leads, but I'm not allergic to Band-aids. It worked very well.

Hope you find what works for you!

Carolyn

If you use band aids then make sure they are latex free. Most of them are these days but not all of them.

The best thing to do is to call the Cardionet folks and ask their advice for what to do.

Benadryl is a good option is you know you are tolerant to it. Your Dr may be able to call in a hydrocortisone cream if benadryl doesn't work for you.

I've had these horrible reactions too but they usually try to treat them topically and tell me I have to "suffer through" so they can get the data they need.

I had a rash with the hypoallergic patches, but it wasn't as bad as the patches that came with the monitor. I would suggest calling cardionet to see what they can do for you. Make sure that you are moving the patches around, allowing your skin to breathe.

How is the monitor working for you otherwise?

Nicole

Hi,

Last time I was sent to the ER and hooked up to EKG I had massive rash from the leads. I was giving Benadryl through an IV....I would def. call and see what the CardioNet folks advise.

Jacquie

hi the monitor itself works great!

I moved the pads around to an irritated ffree area.. under my skin where the patched originally were.. my skin is majorly red.. and my skin is welted! raised up.. and it itches madly!

I took a shower and used some aveeno oatmeal soap.. to help with the itching..I'm going to call in the morning and ask them what to do about this..I need to find a way to be able to wear this thing the full time I'm suppose to wear it!!

hmm we'll see.. i have such sensitive skin!! grr!

I get the same problem. They give me the leads for infants. But that only helps a little, it only makes the irritated area smaller.

DON'T USE ALCOHAL to try to get it off. That just makes me worse and irritates the already irritated areas. I just had to move each lead around a little each time I switched them when I had one for a month one time. And I downed LOTS of benedryl pills. Creams and stuff for the skin didn't have much of an effect. I would put neosporan or A+D Ointment on the skin at night sometimes to help it heal some.

Hope this helps.

Have you been worked up for Mast cell disorders? If not it might be something to bring up to your Dr with the symptoms you have.....

Feel better.

Hi--i'm currently in the process of testing for mast cell activation...I'm "waiting" for a bad surge to comeon board so I can collect the pee!...then find a doc who is familiar with MCA to review the results.hmmmm...

I'm having some serious ithcing and welting skin happening.. I called cardio net and they are sending me some super hypoallergenic leads... the leads i'm allready wearing are laytex free.. but obviously arent going over real well.

I' am moving the patches around.. but.. in each spot that I move it too my skin is welting up big time.. and it svery red and itchy... and has a fever in each "spot'!.. I'm running out of clear un-irritated area's to wear the patch's and knowing my luck.. I'd take the patches off to give my poor skin a break and i'd have a spell while I was not hooked up!!

I'm using some cortaid cream stuff on the itchy spots.. its helps a little bit..

I hope you can get some answers soon.

I'm waiting on my urine test for mast cell.... did it 3 weeks ago.

Also waiting to go into another "spell" to test for tryptophase......

Fun huh???? :blink:

Jen--oh yeah loads of fun!! NOT!!!

Lauren--yeah I think I'm going to look into that.. as i cant stand the itching.. and the spots like hurt and burn and well you know.. yucky!

jenn-lauren.. do you think it would be beneificial and more accurate if I sent the urine to vandy to be evaluated?? verse a regular lab that might not know how to interrpet the results? (i spelled interrpet wrong i think!! oh well) :blink:

I know my Dr sent mine out to a lab far away but do not know which one... I remember she said that only certain labs in the country do the tests accurately....

I would think Mayo would be a good one... :blink: