Remeron:

Hi. Again, I tried to do a search for this topic, and it wouldn't show anything. Maybe the search isn't working here, because I know Remeron has been discussed.

Anyway, I'm trying Cymbalta now. If that doesn't work to relieve some of my severe symptoms, my doc wants to try me on Remeron. I've read nightmarish things about it here. Has anyone had a good experience with Remeron?

Thanks.

Linda

Hi. My pcp says that he's used Remeron in the elderly that he worked with at a VA hospital and it worked to help them sleep. He says that the science is behind it working for POTS. I've heard nothing but awful things about it from those who've tried it. He's very insistent that I try it. I'm very insistent that I don't, but I just wanted to see if anyone has had a GOOD experience with it before I tell him absolutely not.

Thanks.

Linda

My taking of it was for sleep as well. Yes, it's great for that. And it does not have the side effects I got from taking SSRI antidepressants. Problem is I think your doc is wrong - with all due respect.

Does he think you're depressed, by any chance, and doesn't want to admit it? You see, my PCP was convinced I was depressed (though I'm sure she would not admit that now), and kept pushing Remeron and later added another antidepressant, Wellbutrin, along with the Remeron. Wellbutrin overstimulated me. Couldn't take that one. It kept me up at night.

She was convinced that I would feel great.

I'm starting to think that doctors who think you are depressed do not say it. They just treat for it. Maybe I should have asked my doctor, "Are you treating me for depression?"

The saving grace for me was two separate POTS diagnoses, one from a neurologist, and one from the National Institutes of Health. Now, my doctor is very understanding and tries her best.

yeah I thought that Remeron was for sleep too. that is why I was given it. IF you start the med make your pcp give you the lowest dose..(ofcourse)..and chop it in half!! and then in half again!! --if its choppable.. I dont remember!

would somebody be there with you when you would start the med?? I think that would be a very good idea.. I'm one of the ones who didnt have a good reaction.. and will leave it at that.. I would say sometimes you have to trust your gut instead of your doctor!!

let us know how things go ok.. take care dear!

hugs

linda