Sudden weakness on left side

MNsue

I was recently diagnosed with POTS two weeks ago, but have had symptoms for many years. about 1 month ago, I woke up with a increased weakness on my left side. I had had a horrible night the night before.

I went through all sorts of testing and the only thing that came up was a diagnosis of POTS. The MD did not think that POTS could cause weakness in only my left side.

Has anyone else experienced this. The left sided weakness has improved a bit (I can now use my left leg to get up the stairs), but it is still weaker than the right.

Thank you for your thoughts.

I'm sorry to say that I had and still have somewhat this same left sided weakness that started during the acute phase of developing POTS about 4 years ago. I even have a slight left sided face droop and I was initally told I had a stroke, but after repeated negative nuclear scans over months and the fact that I had stiffness of my face develop over the period of a few days led a very learned neurologist to say "you didn't have a stroke" but "I don't know what caused it", probably a virus. I even feel like I am dragging my left leg when I walk which isn't particularly noticeable to anyone except when I am tired or stressed. I feel like the left side of my backmuscles also goes into spasms and knots at times and tranfers into my neck mucles as well on that side. Swimming seems to minimize some of these symptoms at times if I don't overdo it. Martha

I'm sorry to say that I had and still have somewhat this same left sided weakness that started during the acute phase of developing POTS about 4 years ago. I even have a slight left sided face droop and I was initally told I had a stroke, but after repeated negative nuclear scans over months and the fact that I had stiffness of my face develop over the period of a few days led a very learned neurologist to say "you didn't have a stroke" but "I don't know what caused it", probably a virus. I even feel like I am dragging my left leg when I walk which isn't particularly noticeable to anyone except when I am tired or stressed. I feel like the left side of my backmuscles also goes into spasms and knots at times and tranfers into my neck mucles as well on that side. Swimming seems to minimize some of these symptoms at times if I don't overdo it. Martha

Thanks for the update. The weakness you describe is much like my own. I also had numbness in my left check and feel like I am dragging my left leg. It is all so strange.

Rhonda

i have had this problem but not extending to anything in my face. it is NOT however something that should ever be assumed to be dysautonomia. not saying an answer will always be found but it needs to be explored if/when it hasn't been.

for me it was a sudden onset & thought to be viral. ever since i have had some left-sided weakness that has improved over time & is no longer noticeable to me (unless someone is doing particular strength testing on me). y left foot has some issues at times particularly when i am more tired and my EMG has shown some abnormalities exactly there....

:D melissa