Preparing for Tilt Table Test

So I want to make sure that they do my tilt table test correctly and that I get as much out of it as I can. What should I be sure they do?

their letter just says " you will have electrodes placed on your skin to monitor your heart rhythem, and a cuff on your arm to monitor your blood pressure. An intraveneous line willb e inserted in your arm in the event your test requires additional medication or IV fluids.."

Advice??

Make sure you inquire about going off meds and how long each med will need to clear your system for the most accurate test results.

If you are on a beta blocker and need to ween off of that then be aware then sometimes when going off a beta blocker you can get a 'rebound' effect where your heart rate is much higher. It can be very miserable and you need to work with your Dr. but often, if you can 'tough it out' your heart rate will level out on it's own.

It took me 4 or 5 weeks to get over the rebound effect of a bb but then I actually felt so much better for a while

My doctor wanted me on all my meds for my first tilt, since I was still having symptoms. It was positive for POTS even with the beta blockers. So if you're on anything, including cold/flu meds, steroids, caffeine, ginseng, propolis, guarana, anything that could affect your BP or heart rate, make sure to check with the doctor to see if he/she wants you off everything or not.

I have my second tilt coming up in a week, and I have to stop everything 2 days before, because he'll be testing my blood flow/circulation during it.

Good luck!!

Not to worry. I know that when I got my done I was completely stressed out about it. And although the test will be unconfortable, think about the results you are getting from it. Best of luck to you dear! <_<

Nicole

Just make sure you can have some time off afterwards because i felt a little out of it in the classic POTS way. Hey if you want to confirm whether you have POTS caused by hypermethylation of the NET gene promoter, ask your doctor to test your levels of norepinephrine supine and at various levels of tilt as well as your 3,4-dihydroxyphenylglycol (DHPG) levels at the same time - this will demonstrate poor norepinephrine reuptake which the Baker Institute feel is the primary cause of POTS in many patients.

Hi H,

Everyones advice is great. I can add.. make sure you have someone with you, rest before and plan on resting after. See if they can order a plasma metanephrine test on you if you get symptomatic. The Mayo clinic in Jacksonville Fla does the test, your docs office can call for instructions on drawing and sending the blood.

Dont stress out too much. We all survived at least one if not multiple TTT's.

Good Luck

Janine

LOL

If you get symptomatic it is a good time to do all those tests. However, they like to drag things on forever so I doubt you will get them all done at once. Get what you can while you can. It wont hurt to ask. A lot of these blood tests are done, if done properly, after an IV is in your arm, they should use it to draw blood for the tests and not individual "sticks". ;)