Donating Blood?

While is's a very generous idea, it's probably not a wise thing to do. For typical folks, going down a pint will cause low blood pressure (you'll lose a pint of volume)...for folks like us, it can cause VERY low blood pressure. If you're not certain, check with your doctor.

Nina

I used to be a nurse on a bloodmobile. While these nurses are the ones you want to have around when you are syncopal, it is best not to "tease the tiger". (Don't push your luck!) More than likely, if you are taking meds such as a beta-blocker or midodrine thry will want a statement from your doctor. It is very generous of you to want to do this but it is not a good idea. I donated once before I was Dx and wished - for many weeks afterward - that I had not. It was literally HOURS before I was stable. I was actually sent home with a nurse co-worker of mine and her nurse husband. If you are needing to "store" blood for an upcoming surgery, then the blood banks usually have different parameters and the donation is made under different conditions than a regular blood drive.

IF - after all is said and done you decide you MUST donate, be sure to tell the phlebotomist that you need to lie down and have your feet elevated BEFORE they stick you with the needle. If this isn't enough to discourage you, keep in mind that they use those huge, 16 guage needles to collect blood...

:D i used to work at a blood bank for over two years. it is NOT a good idea for you to donate. there are really strict parameters and my guess is they will say thanks but no thanks, but my bigger concern is what it will do to you. it takes a person 8 weeks to replenish the cells lost in a unit. if you don not react well you will feel crummy for a long time. i tried it once, and that was more than enough and let me assure you those are honkin big needles. :o morgan it is very generous of you to want to only 5% of the population donates which is pretty sad

Before I had my diagnosis, I gave blood...the first time, I passed out on the table while they were still taking out the pint. What still ticks me off to this day is that they didn't take the line out until the pint was full!!! I was 17 at the time and was donating at school to raise blood for our schoolmate who'd need many many pints while in the hospital following a severe burn accident (he was cleaning his motorcycle w/ gasoline when it blew up). I was ill for weeks.

I tried again in my late twenties. Managed to stay conscious during the affair, but again, was terribly sick for weeks.

Be careful.

Nina

thanks all i wondering even platelets as they take like over an hour but they return your blood back to you minus a few platelets. i don't have a fear of needles anymore, i give shots to animals and don't mind the needles coming at me either, but this is something i have wanted to since i was 15, believe it or not. :D so it was just an option....

thanx a bunch

susie

Guest Julia59

My blood is O-neg. I wish I could as it is a much needed blood. Trouble is---that is the only blood I could ever have transfused into me----but o neg. can be transfused into anyone, with any blood type.

Julie :0)

I think even platelets would be a bad idea. I have donated 10 gallons of blood and platelets, and they have even stricter parameters than whole blood. Yes, the RBC's are returned to you, and you do get some saline but it is still a shock to your system.

I'm with the rest here. It's not a good idea. I donated blood before I knew what I was dealing with, I was weak for a couple of months. Now I'm anemic and they would never take my blood knowing what I have.

It's a nice idea but it's not worth it. There are enough healthy individuals out there that can do this. If you want to give, maybe your time volunteering would be great. I used to teach first aid and CPR for the red cross and it is such a great feeling of satisfaction. They also need volunteers for special events that take place during the year of you can get certified. So there are many other ways that are healthier for you to help out.

steph

Donate your time, not your blood. I volunteer at the blood drives and help the red cross with whatever they need, from food restocking to alerting them when someone is ill to registering people or even rushing the blood to the carriers or hospitals. They are desperate for volunteers and cannot run as large a drive as desired without people helping. You would get very ill if you donated blood, so help the best way you can! (there are so many 'healthier' people who also cannot give blood, so don't feel bad)

A couple of months ago they were having a blood drive at my high school and I participated because I did not know that it was a bad idea, and I felt like I should give blood since I was so used to having my blood taken. I felt really really weak and lighthead for weeks afterward, and that was when I read somewhere that POTS patients shouldn't give blood. It kind of ***** because I would do it of I could!

I have no idea if this is POTs related or not, but I don't even think they could get blood from me. I have very very tiny veins. They always seem to blow and I usually try to convince them to use a baby butterfly needle if they need to draw blood for something. They roll, and even when they get a good one, occasionally it just up and quits flowing. Does this have something to do with the blood volume/pressure...or just something completley unrelated that I have to deal with. Needless to say, I have never even attempted to give blood:)