bed tilted upright

So my doc has suggested I try tilting my bed up at a slight angle, so my head is higher than my feet while I sleep at night. (He was throwing out all kinds of suggestions b/c I am hesitant to try more meds, I wanted some alternative ideas.)

He said that this was tried by a physician in the 40's and it worked for him. He noticed the effects so much that when he traveled and slept in a flat bed, his symptoms would all come back.

So, I thought I'd give it a shot... last night was the first night. It was odd at first (my husband put blocks under the 2 feet at the head of the bed, so it's raised up about 8") but I really didnt notice throughout the night, I was afraid my little dog might roll off at some point, but she was fine. Heheheh.

Since I slept like that last night, I had a 'good' day today, not much standing problems. But that is probably a total coincidence, sometimes I randomly have 'good days' you know? So I'll keep trying it and see what happens.

Just wondering if anyone else has tried this... ?

Yes. it seems wierd. We wear those horrible med stockings to get the blood back into our heads, but then tilt beds to get the blood to the feet! The idea is to train the body during its downtime to pump the blood back up. I noticed a difference about a week after my bed was tilted. This was a suggestion from Dr. Low that I try this before he would even authorize an appointment. It has worked for some and after a few days- you will not even notice a difference. It is also good for digestion- so two birds with one stone!

I've been sleeping on a tilted bed for years, even prior to displaying POTS, so I don't notice any difference in OI.

I will "keep it up", though, since I do have POTS and GERD and supposedly it helps.

Also, somewhere I read that there is a difference between using a "wedge" pillow to raise yourself and using something under the feet of the bed. Under the bed, as you are doing, is the preference. For GERD sufferers, a wedge can just make you have a "crease" at your midline where the wedge is, and that could exacerbate GERD.

Since I have the wedge, I may not be doing the ideal.

I hope your trial helps you. Let us know.

Before I figured out what was wrong with me, I experimented with everything. Tilting the head of the bed helped a lot and I still do it. I thought my digestive system pressed less on my heart at night (my logic, not necessarily true) because I got some of my worst tachy episodes after eating.

I read that if you tilt at night, less urine is made so you lose less fluid by that route. Maybe there are several benefits.

I had actually forgotten about this suggestion! I think I read about it when I was first diagnosed, and was bombarrded with so many different treatment ideas. I never got around to trying it. But I did read about it in the Mayo Clinic library. Maybe I should give it a try. Good luck, hope it helps!! :)

It helps me to have the head of my bed raised but I didn't notice it right away; it was a gradual improvement. I still have horrible POTS spells at times but I do notice a difference for the better.

The other bonus for me is that it was an instant "prop up" to watch tv more easily when I'm not able to sleep!

The only reason I never tried it, was I read somewhere that sleeping like that can really make make your BP drop. I know my BP is really low at night from the times I have been in the hospital. Plus what about the blood pooling in the legs which is also a problem. My ankles are puffy when I go to bed. Do you wear support stockings to bed???????????

Dawn

Dawn, this is what I originally thought, too. That's why I didn't try it when I first heard of the idea years ago.

But when my doc mentioned it again a few weeks ago, I thought "what the heck" and he explained that it's not about the blood pooling and BP. It's about tricking the kidneys into absorbing less fluid so your blood volume therefore increases.

My doc said that the blood pooling wouldn't be an issue b/c the angle is ever so slight, it's not like you're sleeping at a 45 degree angle or anything.

From reading the responses, it looks like some people can't tolerate it and some people benefit from it... so I just thought I'd give it a shot. :)