bp reading concerning me

Wufflebear

Autonomic problems go hand in hand with disregulation of blood pressure. I run high and low, and not much in the middle. Do check with your doctor, but it may have just been a pots-y issue.

Nina

I've not had a stroke yet...and my bp has been as low as 30/-- and I was still awake and talking... and it's run as high as 160/100. For some reason, our bodies seem to be more adjusted to those swings in bp than the average "normal" person.

Nina

what others have said is definitely true. if you've never had a high reading it's something you should ask your doctor about but for me - while i'm most often low - i'll occassionally spike high. i've been as high as 200 and as low as....well, nothing (52/? while conscious).

another thing to keep in mind is that very little (and often transient) things, i.e. talking, can increase pressure at a given moment. some are more sensitive to these changes than others.

so....talk with your doc but in the meantime try not to worry.

:D melissa

• 7 months later...

I know this post was from a long time ago...but I just read it, so thought I'd add my two cents worth...

Did you have some kind of caffiene product, like Exedrine or coffee? My husband's systolic spikes after high caffiene intake.

The systolic/diastolic should be about 30 points apart. Maybe you were having tachycardia at the time they took the measurement.

"Nerves", they might have been referring to "White Coat Syndrome", which happens to some ppl when a doctor or nurse takes their bp; it shows a drastically abnormal (for that person) reading due to nervousness about the setting (hospital), and they are advised to take it at home or in a non-clinic setting.

And talking, walking, hand gestures, etc. can increase the bp by about 10 points on each (syst/dia)...not much more than that, even if the person just took the stairs.

Has this problem been resolved, since the post was a while back? Hope you are feeling better.

I agree that it should probably be part of the POTS, but also things like stress, fevers, and so forth can cause BP to be higher, so it could just be a little bit of everything. But it also might not hurt to talk to your dysaut. doctor if you're worried about it. :)