Law school to practice

Lukkychrm42

Hi, I'm a junior in college and I'm considering applying to law school in the fall. I've been doing lots of research and such, but I was wondering if any of you have experience in law school, particularly while being sick. Right now I'm not sure if I would go full or part-time, because if I were going part-time I would be working a full-time job... Given that I'm currently taking a semester off entirely, I'm not sure how I would do with that... but if I pay for it, full-time without a full-time job would be quite expensive!! I'm wondering how the system works for people with disabilities. I've looked into disability services for the various schools, but I also don't see myself being able to work 60 hours per week the way that I am now, so I don't know how many part-time lawyers there are. I'm really just starting to think about it, so there's so much to consider, but if anyone has any experience with this, I'd really appreciate your story! Thanks so much!

Megan

Hi Megan,

Congrats on your goal! I don't know about Law school, but both our daughters are in college full time and have health issues to contend with as well so on that level we can relate. Our one is looking at going to Medical School (she is also a junior in college now) so as far as recommending the how too.....It good to look into the disability aspect of the Law colleges and see what they offer as far as accommodations to help you. Each school may be different but they are not permitted to refuse a person due to a disability, it's against ADA federal law.

As far as working full time and paying for Law school, you might want to check into student loans to help, you may be able to get a very low interest rate loan and some loans depending on which way you go with them, don't start require payment back until 6 months after graduation and by then you're usually working (after grad school) as long as you don't stop being in school for any length of time as per their requirements. There are also deferments you can check into for these type loans if needed and approved. Also the grad school may offer financial aid.

I agree that these graduate schools can be quite expensive so I think unless a person has been clever and saved or fortunate to pay out right towards these type schools, most people just get student loans. Including Doctors, at least quite a good number of them anyway. You can also pay as you go towards educational loans etc....Most of the schools financial offices should be able to help you out on this for ideas and advice as well. Plus there are scholarships and grants out there you can apply for to be able to better concentrate on school instead of working your self like crazy while attending grad school.

Does your college have an advisor you ask as well? The finance officers at college or particular grad school may be able to better advise you on these matters but ......

here's a couple of good links you may find helpful....

http://www.a2zcolleges.com/law/us.html

http://www.gradloans.com/fa101/fedaidpgms.shtml

http://finaid.org/otheraid/

http://www.wfedsuccessloan.com/

http://www.salliemae.com/

http://www.pslawnet.org/

These are just a few, there are many others out there that have a ton of information.

Good luck and let every one know here how it goes for ya.

We're busy pulling our hair out as well, gathering everything & information for our daughters especially the one that intends to be heading off to Medical School.....I try not to look at the prices too much....sticker shock sets in big time! And, we have two in at the same time....I'll be so glad when one is finished that I'm going to do a jig!!

Isn't there a test you all need to take as well for law school ....the LSAT? or something? good luck with that as well.

As far as dealing with health issues, you just do the best that you can, when you can, we've dealt with alot of health issues in our family and had alot of set backs here and there but try to stay the course after dusting ourselves off time and again from falling.

Just keep your goal in mind & in sight, doesn't matter how long it takes you to get there, it's all about balance with these type health issues in doing anything no matter what it is, so whenever you arrive at your dream that when it's suppose to happen. Even if you have to take in stages.

Good luck on your dream.

best wishes

That's great that you want to go to law school. I am lucky because I finished law school (and THANKFULLY paid off my loans) before getting POTS. So I didn't really need the disability services while I was in school. I would pick a list of schools that you would have applied to if you didn't have POTS, and then call them to find out if they have a part-time program or would otherwise be willing to work with you. They may make an exeception if your health does not enable you to go full-time.

Financial aid (other than loans) is pretty hard to get for law school, but a few schools offer merit-based scholarships. The only other thing I can think of is that tuition is usually less if you go to a state school. I would not worry about the loans so much, because you can arrange to pay them back over a really long time, like 30 years, if you need to.

A law degree can be pretty versatile. A lot of people head to law firms after they graduate because they are a great place to get experience, but the hours can be brutal. But there are many other things you can do with a law degree - pro bono, working for a corporation, or for the government - which might have better hours or allow you to work part time. Geographic location also makes a difference - hours are worse in the big cities - lucky me, I live in NYC. I work in a law firm at 80% hrs, but my hrs are probably around 60 hrs/week, give or take a little. Believe it or not, this is considered "part-time"! At least my job is flexible, and I usually can show up a little late and work from home when I need to. I have been trying to look for something in a corporation for the past year or so, but haven't had much energy to devote to a job search. Would quit but I need the health insurance!

If you do decide to do this, I think you can make it work. It's just like anything else that those of us with POTS try to do - it may take some extra effort, but you will get there. Good luck and let me know if you have any other questions.

-Rita

• 2 weeks later...