Back on Adderall

Sak

Yesterday was my first day back on Adderall, after a three-year hiatus. My doctor had no reservations at all about it. Observations:

The fatigue and brain fog are GONE.

The drug raises my heart rate a bit. At rest, my pulse is usually 80-85; now, it's up in the 95-100 range. Higher than I'd like, but nothing to be too concerned about.

No dizziness whatsoever; I can jump up from sitting or lying down and not suffer for it.

Unfortunately, the constant peeing is still with me; but I never expected that this particular drug would do anything for that.

My particular kind of OI seems to be caused by low fluid volume and extreme vasodilation. The former I've been treating with lots of water for several months now. The constricting effects of the amphetamine have lessened what dizziness remained, and probably now my brain can get enough blood to function properly. It's a low dose--10mg pills, with a total of about 6mg of actual amphetamine base--so I know the increased energy and mental clarity isn't due merely to the stimulating effects of the drug. That may be partly it, but I suspect the vasoconstriction is what's helping the most.

That is wonderful. I am not familiar with adderall, what exactly is it?

Paige

Adderall is an amphetamine preparation; it contains four different isomers of amphetamine and dextroamphetamine. It's usually used to treat ADHD.

Talk to your doctor about it, but don't get your hopes up too much; whether or not it helps you will depend on the exact cause and nature of your dysautonomia. Stimulants work well for some, and only worsen symptoms in others. But if you have vasodilation problems, it may well help.