Time of the Day

Traci

I've noticed with some of my symptoms they settle down a little at night, before I go to sleep. Not all of the time, but I get a few semi-normal nights in a week. My HR can even settle to a high normal on standing at night sometimes.

But 50% of the nights, before I go to sleep, they settle a bit. Although, after sleeping for a while and when I awaken, my symptoms are at there worst.

Most nights, before bed, are alot easier than the mornings.

Has anybody else noticed a certain time of the day where their symptoms lessen and is it in the evening/night before bed?

Traci

Traci, You are not alone!

I experience exactly the same thing. Here are the explanations my doctor gave me: By evening, our blood volume is probably at its highest. In the middle of the night we become more tachy due to laying down as well as fluid loss. The mornings are the worst because of volume depletion. Does anyone else have other or additional explanations?

Lois

Traci--hi--well for me I am typically feeling pretty cruddy when I first wake up...my potsy is rough then at this time of day... on rare days i will wake up and feel OK for about 2 hours.. and then I have apotsy crash.. and am laid up the rest of the day...

the best time of day for me is from about 11pm to about 1-1:30am.. that is when I am most functional... Um I start to feel bad again around 2am..(i am uausually up then and cant sleep) and it just goes dwon hill from there..

I get the worst of my adrengic spells at roughly between 3-5 am.. whcih wipe me out tremendously..

I used to me where if I was feeling badly in the am and the afternon that I would start to perk up and feel better around 6-7pm..however this isnt the case anymore..

So all in all the best time of day for me is late night between 11pm-1am.. this is when I shower..eat sometimes.. and get a load of laundry done or run to walmart maybe once aweek for food and necessities...(there are few people in walmart at 12am..and the power chairs are allways availbale)..

you hit the nail on the head Lois!! good explanation!

My symptoms are so much better at night. I usually start to feel better around 9 p.m.(at my worst I actually considered sleeping during the day and being awake at night!) Mornings are tougher though, I usually take an hour or so to start feeling normal for me. Anytime before that I would consider myself the living dead.

Guest CyberPixie

I'm actually better in the mornings! Though it takes me while to feel better first thing due to pain, stiffness and being groggy but after hour or so I'm usually at my best. I start to get worse around 3pm.

The mornings are the worst for me, followed by the late evenings. In the morning I feel as if I never even went to bed I'm so groggy and exhausted. And in the evening I have used up all of my energy. . .if I even had any for the day. :lol:

Nicole

I've heard some theories about the volume depletion and I've also heard some researchers say that overnight your body is resting and laying down so the body has a prolonged period of time where it isn't having to adjust to various positional changes....it kinda gets use to laying down and not having to work so hard. Then, in the mornings when we try to get up and stand then all the sudden the brain/nervous system is having to go into overdrive and adjust to an upright posture which is difficult enough but especially after it hasn't had to do this for several hours.

I am terrible in the mornings: nausea, light-headedness, and many heart palpatations. It's just awful and miserable.

After I wake up, I need at least a solid hour of laying down and resting before I can get up and get dressed/ready for the day. Then another rest. My late afternoons are okay.

I feel best at night. Once dusk hits I feel much more at ease- not as many heart palpatations, a little more energy.

Of course if I abuse that 'good' feeling that I'll be back with the nausea, palps, and light-headedness before bedtime.

Morning = BAD

Evening = Tolerable/somewhat better

I was always a night person. Never knew why, but now i think it was this underlying it all. I feel most alert and best after 8-12. Just wish the world did too! I will talk about conan Obrien and friends will say if you went to bed sooner you'd feel better, but they don't get that my brain functions then. Its not unusual fo me to do payroll at 10 pm. numbers just work then.

• 4 weeks later...

Oh my, these have been by symtoms too....for years....I wake up shaking and heart pounding and it takes a long time for it to all settle down, as well as tired, dizzy, yuky, . It does get slightly better on weekends when I can sleep in but even then it happens to lesser degree. Im laying there telling myself I don't have to get up, and if I do deep breathing, or sit in bed balancing my checkbook, it gets better. I keep telling my husband I feel like an alien I just want to wake up and feel normal again. I want to thank this website for saving my life because if I hadn't found it i would doubt my symptoms even more....I could cry right now cause sad as it is that we all have suffer, some worse than others, they are tears of joy that sharing everyone's experienses has let me know I'm not a total freak....and I finally found a doctor who seems to care too. I go for my first tilt table Monday, and now am nervous. Have to be there at 7:00 am. That will surely put me in a big tizzy. My body doesn't like being up till 8:30 or 9:00 even if I go to bed early. At night I feel fine, usually. I am on Xanax XR now.

I am way worse in the mornings - but I have found that if I lay in bed for a few minutes while awake, then gradually sit up and stay seated in bed for a few more minutes, then evenually get up and walking I feel a little better. Thi has only been possible since I've been on medical leave form work though, and am able to stay in bed till 7:30-8am. While teaching I had to get up at 5:30 and my mornings were horrible! My heart raced all the way into 2nd block.

I also crash in the afternoons - 3-7pm I am useless -but I have been that way since I had a spinal fusion 6 years ago, so I don't know if its related.

Traci

When I was very sick with POTS, my symptom pattern was really identical to yours. There were days I could almost feel normal--but after 5 pm or so, only. Although my symptoms are mild now, if I do get challenging symptoms, they are generally when I first get up or after eating my first meal of the day.

My understanding was always what others have said, that blood volume is highest at the end of the day.

Katherine

Morning is definitely the WORST time for me as well.I am at my dizziest and have my worst visual and heartbeat problems as soon as I rise.I don't even like to speak first thing as my words come out all wrong.Its so horrible.However, if i go for even an hours sleep during the day that is still enough resting to give me horrible symptoms when I wake.I too come to life around 11.30pm.Isn't it fun being a night owl?! :)

I hate mornings! They're awful!! It's definitely my worst time. I'd say my best time is around dinnertime. (6 to 9 or so). My symptoms tend to get worse also before bed which is why I often take a double dose of propranolol shortly before bed, because otherwise my heart is pounding too hard that it distracts me and I can't get to sleep.