Such a thing as "emotional fog"?

denabob

;) I know the brain fog is a definite symptom of POTS but what I'm curious about is the emotional rollercoaster we all seem to ride.

I realize depression is a symptom also but just like the "drug sensitivities" I seem to have "emotional sensitivities" I seem to be what my mother always called "mello-dramatic" I react to the smallest of things to an extreme!

Now that I'm older and a mother myself I've learned to talk myself through most things and hide my feelings when they are unjustified! But they are still there!!! I get certain times when my emotions are all over the spectrum and I swing from one to another. Aggrevation, self-pitty , irritation , and even a sort of numbness.

Is this related to our illness? My boyfriend (lovingly ;) ) says that it just means I'm female. Cute huh? :P Is this something that Lorazapam or something similar could help? This week has been real strong with it and I try to keep to myself to keep from upsetting my friends and family over nothing! My friend Lisa (who has posted with me before) is a support when I'm this way because she helps balance me. I can call her and tell her my situation and mood and she tells me to snap out of it if I'm overreacting! I get tired of being so "aware" of my body and feelings all the time Ya Know? Oh how great it would be to function "normally" well that thought needs to stop! This is what I have and my life has altered due to it and I have to accept it.

My point is... ( finally huh? :( ) The more posts I read the more I see myself in you guys and you seem to experience the same swings as I do. Please tell me I'm not crazy!! Am I just touchy or is this the dysautonomia too?

It gets confusing trying to figure out what to blame on this illness and what is something unrelated! HELP me sort it out PLEASE!

Thanks for listening if you made it through my rambling!

Deanna

I wish I could help you sort it out, but I can't sort out myself. I've started to write what symptoms I have and what could be causes them so that when I see my doctor next, I have a plan. I cry almost everytime I see the neurologist. I can't figure out why, but I think it may be that I want him to tell me that all of these swings and emotions and panic attacks are really symptoms of POTS and we'll increase or decrease something to make it go away. But what really happens is he says that the POTS is under control and the other symptoms are due to anxiety disorder. Okay, anxiety is a symptom of POTS, so now I see a psychiatrist to help with that part, but when will I stop having anxiety problems?Will it ever go away?

Yes, I'm melodramatic too. I get teased about that. Sometimes I'm told to chill out. You know what, if I could "chill out" I would have!!!! I can't stop my reactions. Afterwards I can redirect them somewhat, but the initial reaction is almost always overblown.

Ahhg! I don't think I helped you at all. I wish I had more answers.

I don't know the correct answer here.

I know for me, I can over-react to a situation. Emotions hit me hard and fast. I've have had to spend the last couple of years learning how to deal. So as far as my coping mechanism, I have to put things out of my mind or there are times that I can't function because I'm so paralyzed by my reaction.

Unfortunately my family and friends don't understand any of my reactions. From beginning to end. It sometimes seems cold but that's how I have to cope or I wouldn't make it at times.

I absolutely hate depression so I will do anything at any cost to avoid that problem. That includes just completely writing off a problem or situation. I have to be this way. It might not always be dealing but it works. Hope it never comes back to haunt me.

Deanna, Hi I am Ernestine a newbe. And this is my first reply. I know how you feel

I stay that way also I take xanax, helps but i'm still a big drama queen and it always over the small thing's. Yes I think it is the dysautonomia, cause we do not

get enough blood to our brain. Hang in there, thinking of you. Ernestine

Welcome ernestine! Thank you for making me your first reply!

I can also tell that you guys are as stubborn as I am . We all ( Thank God) seem to be strong - willed individuals and we fight ourselves more often than not! I struggle to not see myself as disabled and try my hardest to fight the "poor me" feeling (though sometimes I lose that one)

I refuse to live my life in a bubble so to say but I try to watch what I plan and the commitments I make! I'm so afraid of letting people down yet again!

I guess this forum will serve as my anti-anxiety fix for now and my friends will keep me lined out as much as they can on my responses.

Thanks!

Deanna

Yes, I'm familiar with the emotional fog. It's not depression, really--just a long gray train of apathy, where each day blends into the next. You don't experience a full range of emotions; sad events and happy events alike fail to move you. You feel stuck in one place.

Okay...I'm not sure what folks are going to think about this...but I feel compelled to write because this is such an important issue.

I don't agree that the "emotional fog" is fully POTS or ANS related. I think our disorders may feed that type of issue, but aren't necessarily the cause. I know I'm more sensitive to the stresses that emotions cause in my body -- excitement is just as hard on me as standing for long periods is. Both leave me tired and a bit drained. I don't experience mood swings, just swings in my energy levels/tiredness.

However, feelings of apathy have never been part of my experience. Changes in range of emotions that you're capable of may be something to worry about. Long term illness is well accepted as provoking depression and other mood disturbances. I think it's so hard to separate those things out of the big picture.

I know that others here may disagree strongly with my viewpoint...and that's fine. We can agree to disagree on this one.

Nina

:P:rolleyes: i just swing from on extreme to the other. the slightest things can set me off and my whole body. i can be overeacting and my brain is telling me i am, but can't seem to stop it. when i talked to rheumy he said, it IS part of illness. that it affects neurons in your brain, so that made me feel better. however i do try hard to control out of contol stuff when i know it's inappropriate. i do a lot of apologizing to people. :( morgan

It makes complete sense to me that emotion can be as screwed up as the rest of us, I don't think it just stops at the physcial aspect! I think we all know that each one of us can tend to have some pretty weird symptoms or very similar symptoms; no two of us are alike.

And I'm always willing to agree to disagree with no hard feelings :rolleyes:

Here are some interesting links if you have the time.

But check out this web page please

http://www.howstuffworks.com/brain.htm/printable

The next web link is very technical -

Skip to the last paragraph under sensation, perception and feelings and continue on to the next paragraph Experience.

http://www.drweitz.com/scientific/brain.htm

Emotion -

Emotions are really neuropeptides (60 discovered to date) which attach to receptors and stimulating an electrical charge in neurons.

http://www.ecsd.com/~rhhedgz1/brain.html

My husband has dysautonomia, and he has all the range of emotions also, he takes xanax and it helps. It also helps to just sit with him through those times, let him talk them out, point out, sometimes what is not logical and why. He is so exhausted afterwards,

but the fight or flight does not always stop, sometimes it takes days to come down.

I wish I had an answer,

take care,

joyce