did everyone have a intravenous line with your TTT?

DSM3KIDZ

Hi, I have had 4 TTT done since I went to different hospitals/doctors throughout the last 3 years. On the first 2 TTT I did have an IV put in w/o meds. My heartrate went from 72bpm to 178bmp, so I was diagnosed with POTS. Also, on these 2 TTT I had a helmet like thing on and it showed lack of cerebral bloodflow.

The last 2 TTT I had done I had no IV, and was taking my BB's, which is weird that they didn't have me stop then. Hmmmm.

Jacquie

I have had 4 TTT's done.. and with every one I have had an IV inserted.. during my third TTT.. the gave me isoprel (SP??i think is way off) to see how I reacted to it..(which was insane as i was freaking out allready.. and I dont NOT like Isoprel!! it makes me want to crawl out of my skin! and makes me so anxious!!)....I kept wanting to sit up..b/c I felt like I couldnt breath.. but they laid me down when they gve it too me as I was allready syncopal..and extremely symptomatic.. oh during the TTT with isoprel.. they had an IV in each arm...they were concerned with how i was going to respond to the Tilt

oh and during the first TTT i had done they gave me IV fluids while I was recovering from the TTT..

I actually though that inserting an IV was standard proceedure.. for a just incase measure... they told me that at the cleveland clinic..each TTT I had done was positive for pots.. even when I was on medication..

Standard practice is to have an IV line ready, but not deliver medications unless the test produces no significant results without medication. Additionally, the IV is a safety measure, in the event that you should have serious problems during the test, they can quickly give you what's needed.

Being on medication (such as midodrine, florinef (florinef needs to have been stopped at least 2 weeks prior), betablockers, and other cardio active and/or blood pressure regulating meds) and/or being given IV fluids, such as a bag of saline, can mask ANS problems during the test.

For my test, I had a significant loss of bp and rise in hr within 15 minutes, so they ended the test there.

Nina

Yeah they put in an IV line just in case there were complications. They gave me the nitro sublingual and then when it was over they gave me IV fluids to 'pump me up.'

I was on atenolol. I asked if he didn't want me to stop it as it seemed it would skewer the test. But the cardio insisted it didn't matter. Dork. Anyway, my bp went up over 50 points and the one mcq of isuprel raised my pulse over 70 beats a minute. I didn't faint, so the cardio said it was negative, my pcp said no way it was negative. So there you go. I do believe being on meds is wrong at the time of the test and if you have symptoms on the med, imagine what you do off it??