NECK PAIN?

yikespanic

I had heard neck pain is a symptom. I have had neck pain since first being sick Dec of 04, It hurts mostly where my neck meets my head in the back, sometimes it's very painful and knot like feeling, it's hard to explain. Sometimes it's barely there and then at times comes on with a vengence and there can be a very bad headache, sometimes reaching migraine intensity. I can't find any explaination as to why POTS or orthostatic intolerance would produce neck pain, anyone got any answers. When I wake up in the morning, my shoulders and arms ache too, and then my joints in my fingers ache really bad. This mostly goes away after I get up. What causes the aches?

Kim

Guest Belinda

Hi Kim...When my orthostatic symptoms started showing I had the same horrrible neck pain..what I was told

recently by someone who has POTS was that it is because not enough blood flow is getting up into the brain and so the muscles in our neck cramp and release blood to compensate..

It was alot of pain for me that would come and go and sometimes felt like a squeesing at the base where the neck meets the back of my skull.

I tried alternating moist heat and ice and that seemed to help al little..

I have no idea if the theory is correct but the neuro kept telling me before I knew I had pots that it was muscle cramp and he could feel how tight my neck was.

Hope this helps a little..

Belinda

Hate to muddy the waters here, but what about chiari? It is very very rare, but I undersand that it comes from the brain squeezing into the base of the spinal column....casuses great headaches and neck pain, I think.....there is a Dr. Hefez in Milwaukee who will look at MRI's sent to him....I may be way way off here, but I know someone who is seeing him next week with POTS, and bad head/neck things....good luck...

Belinda,

Thanks, Mine was so bad the last couple days I started into my excessive worry mode. Saw the news about the menningitis case at a school and I even had myself thinking I might have it. It wouldn't be so bad having a few symptoms to deal with, it's just the overwhelming amount of wierd symptoms that come and go and evolve into even stranger ones. Sometimes I just get overwhelmed and freak out. It's like some alien has taken over my body and I want it back! Since I got sick my problem has been my BP was low and then it would drop now I'm having some wierd things happen like my BP is low and then shoots up. Sometimes the reading on my BP monitor scares me. I get worried all these BP fluctuations will wear my heart out, if the fast heart rate doesn't do it first. I really am trying to keep a positive outlook but sometimes even that is like hard work and wears me out. Thanks for being there and I hope your glue feeling is gone.

Take Care

Kim

Joanie,

I've had 2 MRI's over the last year and a CAT scan, would that have shown up if it was there?

Thanks,

Kim

Guest Belinda

:rolleyes: Kim..I keep telling people that I have an alien disease maybe we aren't far off..hee..heee. Glue feeling is still there I am just choosing to ignore it at this point til I go in April.

I thought about the chiari malformation too..when I saw the segment on Discovery health. I have had Mri's too in the last year and thought maybe certain docs. don't know what to look for.

And also I get into freak mode too..so that must be a symptom too..LOL. :lol:

But it is very wierd..having the symptoms we do.

Belinda

It was explained to me that this happens and causes that coat hanger effect (pain shaped like a coat hanger neck/shoulder) because of adrenaline. Adrenaline does something to the muscles something with oxygen in the muscles. That is all I can remember. It caused me massive neck pain, which gets worse during bad episodes. In one of the books, it talks about a person, who would think the worst of every symptom. Mitral Valve/ Dysautonomia, I think. I do this too. I was stuck on the Chairi for a while, and sometimes still wonder, but I have gotten so much better. But the symptoms are so similar, it is a valid concern to me. But my dr said that it is a common symptom of POTS. Hope it gets better. The beta blocker worked so well for this neck pain for me. Better days, JenniferTX